Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 4200n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently updated from the Universal Print Driver PCL6 v6.7.0 (Driver Version 61.225.1.23989) to HP Universal Print Driver PCL6 v7.0.1 (Driver Version 61.255.1.24923)
When sending any print job to a network-connected printer, I get an alert:

adf45e2e-12f6-4d72-9fdf-808a106df329.png

"Security Alert The Certificate validation failed. Certificate CN is invalid. Do you want to continue? Aborting will cancel the job [Continue] [Abort]"  

When I roll back to v6.7.0 it prints fine with no alerts.  This is happening across every HP printer model I've tried the v7.0.1 driver on (We run over a dozen different HP printer models) 
I tried re-downloading the driver installer direct from HP, the issue continues. 

This happens whether printing direct to IP or over network print server.  

I can't seem to locate the certificate the driver is trying to use for its signing to get details on its CN. 

Alternately, does anyone know if  HP has a backlog of UPD PCL6

drivers to download?  it would be nice to at least use v6.9.x if I can't get 7.0.1 to work.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Having the same issue, hundreds of PCs all broke on 12/16.   The only thing that works is to deleted que and rebuild. With new driver just changing driver has not worked.  It’s been a nightmare.   

HP Recommended

Just experienced the same issue on HP LaserJet MFP M426fdw where I had changed the network identification names years ago.

It seems that starting v7 of HP Universal Printing Driver, they're checking the printer's self signed certificate CN against it's advertised name. For me it was a quick fix:

- Generate a new Self Signed certificate in the printer, instructions similar to:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-laserjet-4345-multifunction-printer-series/415204/document/c...

- Go into Device Settings and force UPD Automatic Configuration to Update Now.

LiFers555_0-1643779673941.png

- Restart your computer (or the Print Spooler Service)

Edit:

Hmm, the above method worked for one out of three printers, now I have two that are stuck...

HP Recommended

Security gets tighter with every revision of just about all software. In terms of printers, some older models will reach a point where they will not be able to meet current requirements. The 4200 is likely close if you are still using the original 610 or 615 jet direct card.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.