Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 4120e All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

I have recently purchased a Deskjet 4120e printer which frequently goes 'offline'. Whilst that is annoying enough I have just updated my Plusnet router but the printer network test shows it still under the old router. I tried scouring the website for solutions but it only seems to cover Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1. No good to me as I'm on Windows 11. I'm not particularly tech minded but can anyone tell me how I change the Network name.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Angliaspur ,

We are sorry that the issue is not resolved when the above troubleshooting steps were performed.

This might require one-on-one interaction to fix the issue via remote assistance. 

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

1. Click on this link -  https://support.hp.com/us-en

2. Select the country.

3. Enter the serial number of your device.

4. Select the country from the drop-down.

5. Click on "Show Options".

6. Fill out the web form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Angliaspur,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you need to reconnect your HP Deskjet 4120e printer to your new wireless network. This process typically involves a few steps to ensure the printer recognizes and connects to your new router's network. Here’s a simplified guide on how to do this, which should work for Windows 11 as well:

Step 1: Reset Printer’s Network Settings

1. On the printer: Some printers allow you to reset network settings directly from the printer's control panel. Look for a 'Setup' or 'Wireless' menu, then find an option like 'Restore Network Settings' or 'Reset Wireless Settings'. This will clear old settings and prepare the printer to accept new ones.

Step 2: Connect Printer to New Wireless Network

Use the HP Smart App: This is often the easiest method:

• Download and install the HP Smart app from the Microsoft Store if you haven't already.
  • Open the app and add your printer. The app should guide you through connecting the printer to your new wireless network. It might prompt you to temporarily connect your printer to your computer via USB to transfer wireless settings.

Use the Wireless Setup Wizard on the Printer: If your printer has a display panel, you can likely use it to connect to Wi-Fi:

• Navigate to the 'Wireless' settings or similar on your printer’s display panel.
  • Select 'Wireless Setup Wizard' and follow the prompts to find and connect to your new network. Enter your new Wi-Fi password when prompted.

Step 3: Check Connection on Your Computer

1. Check Printer in Windows Settings:
    • Go to 'Settings' > 'Devices' > 'Printers & scanners'.
    • If your old printer instance is still listed, remove it.
    • Click ‘Add a printer or scanner’. Windows should find your printer on the network. Follow on-screen instructions to add it.

Step 4: Print a Test Page

1. From Windows:
    • Once the printer is added, right-click on it in 'Printers & scanners' and select 'Manage'.
    • Click 'Print a test page' to ensure everything is set up correctly.

Troubleshooting

If the printer does not connect:

• Check your Wi-Fi password: Ensure the password entered is correct.
  • Restart Devices: Sometimes simply restarting the printer, router, and computer can resolve network issues.
  • Positioning: Ensure the printer is within a good range of the router without too many obstructions.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Rachel, many thanks for your reply. My particular printer model doesn't allow any adjustments on it's panel so I moved to step two. On opening the HP Smart app my printer is shown (in fact it appears twice but only one is 'active') however it shows under my old Plusnet router code. I cannot find any means to alter this. Scouring through the user manual it does give advice for Windows 7 and 10 but not Windows 11 which I have. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Angliaspur ,

We are sorry that the issue is not resolved when the above troubleshooting steps were performed.

This might require one-on-one interaction to fix the issue via remote assistance. 

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

1. Click on this link -  https://support.hp.com/us-en

2. Select the country.

3. Enter the serial number of your device.

4. Select the country from the drop-down.

5. Click on "Show Options".

6. Fill out the web form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks once again Rachel. I will try the suggestion you gave me.

Regards

Tony

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.