Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4500 G510 All-In-One PrinterH
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

MY HP Envy was struck by lightening 2 weeks ago, and the Motherboard was fried.  I now have a refurbished HP Desktop PC, but that is all the information I have on it.  No numbers or models.  It is working just fine, everything I've attached has worked with no problem.

The PC recognizes my HP Officejet, but I am unable to connect with it.  I always used it wireless before, but right now I have it connected  with the USB cable, and it still won't connect.  Everything else running on wireless has worked just fine.  Only the PC tower was destroyed.  All other PC hardware is working just fine.  Can someone figure out how or why my printer  won't  connect?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

I returned today  to    either remove my query or  hopefully leave helpful information, because I eventually solved the problem myself.  I did everything you suggested, and I might add,  more than once.  I've been going through the entire procedure over and over again for days now.  But what it mainly came down to was  connecting the my  wireless password entered, and I discovered I had to do it   using the  keypad on the printer.  I learned this  from a prior experience  about 5 years ago, but I had forgotten about it.  When I finally figured out how to key in the password using the keypad,  the computer "found" my printer, they  "communicated" and I successfully printed out a test page.  So I am up and running,  and very   thankful to be able to say so.  Sometimes stubbornness and tenacity do pay off!

I don't know where to put  this information, so maybe you can help.  I couldn't find it myself,  discovered how to input the information with the keypad from an article Google found for a Cannon printer.  When trying to add number or letters with the keypad on the HP OfficeJet 4500 510 printer, to key in the wireless password,  you have to press the correct key until the  upper case, lower case, number show up.  My first  symbol was a 4 , and the button went through  upper case, then lower case, and finally the 4 showed up.  So I had to press that first button 7 times to get the #4.  I proceeded in the same way with each letter or number in the password.  It was tedious, but it worked.  Once that was done the rest all fell into place 1, 2, 3!

So, my problem has been resolved.  I hope you can pass on the information on using the keypad because I have no idea how or where to post it.  Thank you for  your suggestions.  I might have tried them if I had found the information sooner.  I had a hard time finding my way back to my  original post.  Not too familiar with this forum.  But thank you  just the same.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Sandielynne,

I'd like to help!

Try the below suggestions-

Make sure the cable is directly connected between the computer and the printer.

The use of a USB hub is not recommended.

Also, make sure the cable is connected to a USB 2.0 port on your computer.

Do you have an Anti-virus/firewall installed on the Mac? If yes, disable the same for time being.

Step 1: Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable

To reset the connection between the printer and computer, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable.

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer.

Figure : Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer

Image: Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer.
  2. Disconnect the USB cable from the computer.

3. Wait five seconds.

4. Reconnect the USB cable to the printer and the computer. Apply some pressure to secure the connections.

5. Make sure that the USB cable is connected correctly.

Figure : Connect the smaller end of the USB cable to the rear of the printer

Image: Connect the smaller end of the USB cable to the rear of the printer.

Figure : Connect the larger end of the USB cable to the computer

Image: Connect the larger end of the USB cable to the computer.
  6. Try the installation again.

Step 2: Test the USB connection

To test the USB connection, connect the USB cable to a USB port on the computer, or use a different port.

Step 3: Try a different USB cable

Sometimes a USB cable can malfunction. Test the connection with a different USB cable.

1. Replace the USB cable. HP supports USB cables less than 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches) in length.

2. Try the installation again.

Step 4: Remove any additional USB devices that connect to the computer

If you have several USB-connected devices, such as another printer, the computer might not have sufficient power supplied to the USB ports to detect all of them.

1. Disconnect all USB devices from the computer except for the keyboard, the mouse, and the printer.

2. Try the installation again.

If removing other devices resolves the issue, HP recommends installing a powered hub to connect multiple USB devices.

Step 5: Reset the printer

Resetting the printer resets any USB connections between the printer and computer.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

3. Wait 60 seconds.

4. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE: 

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Step 6:Update the driver software in Windows Device Manager.

1. Search Windows for device manager, and then click Device Manager in the list of results.

2. Click the Right arrow  next to the following entries to expand them, and then look for your printer in each list:

• Printers

• Print queues

• Universal Serial Bus controllers

• Other devices

• If you see a yellow exclamation mark next to your printer or the phrase Unknown device, continue with the next step.

• If you do not see your printer or a yellow exclamation mark in the list, skip to the next step to uninstall the driver.

3. Right-click the HP device/Unknown device entry or the entry with the  symbol, and then click Update Driver Software. The Update Driver Software - Unknown Device wizard opens.

4. Click Search automatically for updated driver software. Follow the on-screen instructions to refresh the device manager.

5. Repeat these steps for all device entries with the  symbol.

Step 7: Uninstall printer driver

>In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

--->Select your HP printer.

--->Select Uninstall.

--->In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

--->In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

--->Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

--->Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

--->Click on the Drivers tab.

--->Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

--->Select OK.

--->Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

--->Close Devices and Printers.

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from the software and drivers page  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hello,

I returned today  to    either remove my query or  hopefully leave helpful information, because I eventually solved the problem myself.  I did everything you suggested, and I might add,  more than once.  I've been going through the entire procedure over and over again for days now.  But what it mainly came down to was  connecting the my  wireless password entered, and I discovered I had to do it   using the  keypad on the printer.  I learned this  from a prior experience  about 5 years ago, but I had forgotten about it.  When I finally figured out how to key in the password using the keypad,  the computer "found" my printer, they  "communicated" and I successfully printed out a test page.  So I am up and running,  and very   thankful to be able to say so.  Sometimes stubbornness and tenacity do pay off!

I don't know where to put  this information, so maybe you can help.  I couldn't find it myself,  discovered how to input the information with the keypad from an article Google found for a Cannon printer.  When trying to add number or letters with the keypad on the HP OfficeJet 4500 510 printer, to key in the wireless password,  you have to press the correct key until the  upper case, lower case, number show up.  My first  symbol was a 4 , and the button went through  upper case, then lower case, and finally the 4 showed up.  So I had to press that first button 7 times to get the #4.  I proceeded in the same way with each letter or number in the password.  It was tedious, but it worked.  Once that was done the rest all fell into place 1, 2, 3!

So, my problem has been resolved.  I hope you can pass on the information on using the keypad because I have no idea how or where to post it.  Thank you for  your suggestions.  I might have tried them if I had found the information sooner.  I had a hard time finding my way back to my  original post.  Not too familiar with this forum.  But thank you  just the same.

HP Recommended

Thank you for sharing.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Please click “Accepted Solution” on my public post if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.