Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
office jet pro 8020
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi, recently had trouble printing from my mac via wifi, so i had to reinstall the printer, however i am now unable to print double sided and its driving me crazy  ref wasting paper!  i dont want to have to manually feed through the pages, is there a way that i can change the default settings back to double sided? when i select file print im not even offered the option of double sided - it seems to have disappeared. Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@LoveReiki, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Below is the print settings guide for Mac:

1. Open a document, photo, or webpage, click File, and then click Print to open the print dialog.

2. If a Show Details button displays at the bottom of the dialog, click it to reveal all available menu options. The button changes to Hide Details when clicked.

Print dialog in macOS

3. Select your printer in the Printer menu.

4. Select an option in the Presets menu that applies to your print job or paper type.

5. Click the unnamed print options menu at the separator bar to display more settings options.

Unnamed print options pop-up menu

6. Change any print job settings.

• Print in color or black and white: Select or de-select Black & White on the main dialog. The Presets menu also includes color and black and white options.

• Paper type (photo, plain, specialty): Selecting the paper type ensures the printer properly applies the ink to the paper you loaded in the printer. Click Media & Quality, and then click the Paper Type menu.

• Paper size: Select the paper from the Paper Size menu on the main dialog, if present. Or, click Paper Handling, select Scale to fit paper size, and then select the paper in the Destination Paper Size menu.

• Create a custom paper size: Click Manage Custom Sizes in the Paper Size menu, if available. The feature might also be available from the app File menu in Page Setup. Go to Creating Custom Paper Sizes for more information.

• Adjust print quality: Click Media & Quality, and then move the Quality slider to the desired setting.

• Two-sided printing (duplexing): Select Two-Sided on the main dialog, select Layout from the print options menu, and then select a binding option in the Two-Sided menu. Go to Printing on Both Sides of the Paper (Mac) for detailed steps on how to load and flip the paper for your printer type.

• Add or remove a border: Click Layout, and then click the Border menu to select a border width or select None for borderless prints.

• Mirror printing: Reverse an image or document for printing iron-on transfers. Click Layout, and then select the Flip horizontally option.

7. To save your settings for future print jobs, click the Presets menu, and then select Save Current Settings as Preset.

Try printing.

Also, refer to the document https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01935823 for help with duplex printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you.

all software is up to date

if i print via the smart app then i can select double sided.

if i print from say word then there is no double sided option

Can you advise?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@LoveReiki

Could you share the print dialog that appears when you try to print from word application?

Keep me posted.

Thanks!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@LoveReiki

I did not hear back from you yet. Please let me know whether your issue is resolved or you need additional help.

Cheers 🙂

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.