Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Error message was that it was missing or failed printhead. Shut down printer, waited and then restarted. Still didn't work. Removed printhead , re - inserted it and then waited, unplugged printer, waited 30+ seconds and then restarted. Still reads that printhead is missing or undetected when it is in place.

What now?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve the printhead error on your Officejet Pro 8600 printer.  I would suggest going through the steps in order.  If the steps before replacing the printhead do not resolve the issue I would suggest removing the printhead and cleaning the electrical contacts on the printhead and in the printer with a lint-free damp wipe.  A clean damp coffee filter works well for this.

If it is necessary to replace the printhead you may be put off by the cost.  Keep in mind the printhead from HP includes a set of setup cartridges (standard size).  I would not recommend buying a replacement printhead from a third party unless there is a good warranty/return/replacement policy.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Following your instructions I managed to turn printer off, waited and turned on again. That did not help. Then I removed the inks, removed the print head and then using a damp coffee filter wiped the connections on the printhead and in the printer.

I turned off the printer after the "doesn't work" signal appeared and waited a few minutes after unplugging the cord. Tried again to plug in and hope by letting it sit for 10-15 minutes that something good will happen.

If it doesn't work, what are my options? Can I get an 8600 printhead here in Oregon? Is it carried by Office Depot or Best Buy? How much do they run costwise?

Or is the best option to just buy a new printer, copier, scanner? I really liked this one. Color was good and the scans worked great.

Any help is appreciated.

Sandi - inky5

HP Recommended

The printhead is not available at retail stores, you would need to order from HP.  See the document here for ordering information.  I just checked and the CR322A is in stock but may be cost prohibitive at $160.  That does include the printhead and a set of new cartridges.

You mention being in Oregon.  I did see an HP Officejet Pro 8100 at the OSUsed store in Corvallis recently for about $30 if I remember correctly.  It had a relatively full 950XL black cartridge, the color cartridges were empty and would need replacement.  The printhead would be the same as in your Officejet Pro 8600.  I will send you a private message with the info on the OSUsed store.

One other possibility - at this point, you have nothing to lose by trying a more aggressive treatment of the printhead.  I would suggest removing the print cartridges, removing the printhead, then soaking it in about 1" of hot water for ten minutes as described in the post here [for a different series of printers, but still the same general principle].  After soaking the printhead gently dry the electrical contacts with a lint free wipe, a clean coffee filter works well for this.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.