Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Printer Assistant
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My default printer on my Windows 10 (64 bit) HP laptop is the shared HP DeskJet 5810 connected via USB to a Windows 10 (64 bit) desktop on our home network.  Printing is not an issue. When I try to use the HP  Printer Assistant software to scan something on the 5810, the software insists that it has to be connected to my laptop via USB and will not recognize a remote connection.  Is there some way to fix this so that I can scan from my laptop without having to run a USB cable between it and the printer?

Murphy was an optimist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JCBick, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix Scanning'.

To use HP printer assistant, make sure it is installed on both the PCs. The printer can work on a shared environment but not the HP Printer Assistant.

To download HP Printer Assistant, click here

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@JCBick, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix Scanning'.

To use HP printer assistant, make sure it is installed on both the PCs. The printer can work on a shared environment but not the HP Printer Assistant.

To download HP Printer Assistant, click here

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I already tried what you have recommended.  To repeat clearly:

I am using a laptop.

The DeskJet 5810 is connected by USB to a desktop.  It is a shared resource on that desktop.

Both the laptop and desktop are using Windows 10.  They are also both connected to our home network.

I have installed HP Print and Scan Doctor as well as HP Printer Assistant on both the laptop and the desktop.

There are no issues using the printer for printing and scanning on the desktop.

The laptop has the printer set as its default printer and there are no issues printing.

The only issue is with scanning from the laptop.

Both the HP Printer Assistant and the HP Print and Scan Doctor only recognize the DeskJet 5810 is I connect it with a USB cable to the laptop.  They do not recognize that it is connected as a shared resource from the desktop.

How can I have my laptop use the scanner without having to connect it by USB cable - since this mode obviously works for printing?

Murphy was an optimist.
HP Recommended

@JCBick

Thank you for the detailed response. Here, the printer has to be locally connected to the laptop to scan via USB.
Shared printer can only print, but we cannot scan from the laptop.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ah!  Basic design restriction.  Thanks for the information.  My personal recommendation would be to enable scanning as well, but I don't have to implement it. ;-).

Murphy was an optimist.
HP Recommended

@JCBick

Thank you for the feedback, it will be forwarded to the design engineers/developers team in HP. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.