Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laserjet MFP477fnw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While trying to solve a problem with scanned docs coming out as 24"x33" 96dpi PDFs instead of letter-sized 300dpi docs, I found this:

In HP Scan & Capture, I get different results depending on which 'device' I select (both the same hardware with slightly different drivers):

tardx_0-1623363679183.png

The top one works OK and the bottom one gives the 'big file' problem. The top one uses 'HP Color Laserjet Pro MFP477PCL6' driver V8.0.1329.6488.

The bottom one uses 'HP Universal Printing PCL6' driver V61.230.1.24296. The additional driver files are different on each.

Any explanation and advice appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

Hope you are well, the main difference between those two drivers is that the second one is Universal Print driver and the one on top is part of the full suite of software,  if you go to the device manager under the Imaging devices there will be the scanner driver of the printer, both drivers are set up for printing and the HP scan and capture app will be able to use both drivers for scanning as well, it would depend which one you prefer depending on the quality you look for. Another trick is to look the printer with the IP address so the app can detect it and use the default CLJ driver of the laserjet.

Regards,

I am an HP employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello,

Hope you are well, the main difference between those two drivers is that the second one is Universal Print driver and the one on top is part of the full suite of software,  if you go to the device manager under the Imaging devices there will be the scanner driver of the printer, both drivers are set up for printing and the HP scan and capture app will be able to use both drivers for scanning as well, it would depend which one you prefer depending on the quality you look for. Another trick is to look the printer with the IP address so the app can detect it and use the default CLJ driver of the laserjet.

Regards,

I am an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.