Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

I bought my printer about a month ago and followed the installation process and it was all great. Got it all set up and running. However, my computer did a long update and im unsure what operating system Im runnning but im sure its Windows 10.  When i tried to print from microsoft word,  I can only print through fax and I couldnt print straight to the printer itself by choosing it. When I looked at the devices in the settings, it showed that the printer was unavailable and Ive tried researching what i need to do to fix it but nothing seems to come up. Help.

Thanks heaps,

Chloe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Let's use the easiest way to install a printer ,

Firstly, uninstall all the drivers that you have installed for this printer .

Restart the pc ,

right click on my computer > device manager > find your printer name > right click and select update online 

compatible drivers should get installed automatically .

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums. Can you try the following:

Please Download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR) tool to diagnose and fix your problem

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e016-1&h_keyword=dg-PDU

Hope that helps.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
HP Recommended

You can download the latest HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers from the following weblink which might resolve the issue:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJ871/OJ8710_Full_WebPack_1881.exe

If the issue persists, please try the Print & Scan doctor:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

In Windows 10, in lower left search for "HP". In the list of search results, at the top you should see your HP printer name. If you do see it, this means you have the full feature software installed and you can open it to scan or look at ink levels and other stuff. This would also mean your print drivers installed. If you do not see a printer in the list of search results, then you should install the printer software.

Click here to download and install your software for Windows 10.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Let's use the easiest way to install a printer ,

Firstly, uninstall all the drivers that you have installed for this printer .

Restart the pc ,

right click on my computer > device manager > find your printer name > right click and select update online 

compatible drivers should get installed automatically .

HP Recommended
Hi thank you. Yeah I've tried this and it told me that I have not installed the full drivers for my laptop. I've done that but it still comes up with the same message when I try again cuz it didn't fix it.

Thanks
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Yeah, had to uninstall everything. Simplest way is to start again.  Thanks for the help though everyone.  Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.