Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP laserjet 1000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP laserjet 1000 series is old but still functional, it was working well on my Win 7 64-bit computer until i upgraded to Windows 10. Can someone please help me find a driver that can make it work on Win 10 64-bit

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello, I wish I had some assistance to offer you. I'm actually looking for the same thing. I am very surprised that you were able to get this working in an 64 bit version of Windows 7 even. I am on Windows 10 64 bit as well, and have been doing some experimenting and have found a few things that could possibly get this working correctly in more advanced operating systems. This is just a general post for anyone who happens to be in the same situation, and is willing to do further experimenting on their end to see if they are able to get it working, but I will jump into what I was able to find. 

I started out by installing the printer to my system using the HP ColorLaserJet 1600 driver. When the printer finished installing itself, I clicked "print a test page". To my surprise, the printer actually responded to the command from my Windows 10 64 bit system in that it queued up and actually pulled paper through the machine. I tried this with a regular document I had on my system and had the same outcome. The exitement stops there though, as nothing was actually lasered onto the paper, although it was notably warm as if something had been printed. I have a couple theories as to why nothing may have been printed. 

#1. Of course, the HP LaserJet 1000 IS NOT a color printer, and is possibly getting confused by the coding coming from the driver that is telling it to print in color (if that's how it works). I did try setting it to the black and white, or the monochrome settings as well. 

#2. The driver is in a 64 bit configuration, and the printer is not able to further decode or read the portion of the command telling it to print actual characters (again, if that's how it works, I know next to nothing about the actual technical workings of it all.)

I also found a video tutorial where someone was able to modifiy a newer Canon printer driver to work with an old Canon printer, one that seemed to have been in a similar state of the LaserJet 1000 where it was only supported on 32 bit systems, and no further drivers were made for it after a certain point in time. I will link that video for you to watch. I was thinking that if perhaps the correct strings of the 1600 could be modified and installed in conjunction with the 1000, that maybe we could have ourselves a driver to get this working. 

Just as a sidenote, I have already tried the way the video tutorial showed, but it never hurts for someone to try it again, as I could have made a typing mistake. My suggestion would be to open the INF file of the 1000 driver and the INF file of the 1600 driver side by side, and compare the strings of text. From there, maybe copy lines from the 1000 INF to the 1600 INF and place them under headings that look similar. Or maybe try going in the other direction, i.e. from 1600 INF to 1000 INF. I will link the two drivers here for you to download and get started with if you so choose. Update us on any findings you may have! Thanks and good luck!! 

Links:

(VIDEO): Hack your inf file to get 64-bit drivers for your obsolete hardware!

LaserJet 1600 Driver Printer Home Page

LaserJet 1000 Driver Printer Home Page

HP Recommended

I can’t find a printer driver to connect my wonderful HP laserjet 1000 to Windows 10. Solvusoft.com recommends downloading a printer driver that they say will work but will not respond to my request for a quick discussion before I do so. 

Have any of you tried this company’s ‘solution’?  I hate to download and find myself getting billed for a subscription before knowing wherher this could even be a viable solution. 

Email from Solvusolv reads:

Dear Customer ,
We'll recommend you to visit this link. We are **bleep** sure; you'll get the exact thing from here that you're searching right now.

https://www.solvusoft.com/en/update/drivers/categories/hp-hewlett-packard/

We hope our product will serve you the best.
Thank You.
Customer Services Team.

Thanks in advance. 

HP Recommended

Hello

I had a very similar issue. I had used my beloved HP Laserjet 1000 for man years on XP and then it stopped working under Windows 7. 

I installed Oracle VM Virtual Box and then installed XP onto that as a "virtual" OS. Hey presto, my printer worked fine.

I did the same thing when I upgraded to windows 10 (if upgraded is the right word). Virtual Box is a free piece of software, too.

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.