Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I’m using [or trying to use] an HP Envy 5540 Printer. It’s about 2 years old. I like the look of it and, when it’s working, I like the print it gives me. I should like to make it work again, rather than replace it, especially as I am heavily invested in 62XL ink. Most times, my printing is minimal. Occasionally, as this week, I have deadlines and am printing more, but not an excessive amount.  I use either Tescos or Cartridge People refills. Lately, whenever I need to replace a cartridge, I am on tenterhooks – expecting the worst – and 1 in 2 times the worst happens!

In the middle of a print job, after printing 20 pages successfully, it came up with: “Remove and reinstall the indicated ink cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed, and then touch OK”.

I cleaned the nodules on the cartridge and the printer. I re-booted. I did everything advised on the Web. Over and over and over again. Alas! To no avail. Even though the cartridge was hardly used, I replaced the black one with a new one.

It now said: Protected Cartridge. The indicated cartridge can only be used in the printer that initially used it and must be replaced”.  To say I felt sick is an understatement. I turned off the HP Cartridge Protection Setting, but the original user obviously had not. I took the black cartridge back to Tescos [another half day wasted] and they kindly replaced it.

The printer then said: “Driver is unavailable”. After many attempts – removing, adding, trying to find a driver, running Scan Doctor – it suddenly started to print. The next day, however, I was back to square one with the message: “Remove and reinstall the indicated ink cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed, and then touch OK”. It is also saying again: “Driver is unavailable”.  Scan Doctor now says: “Cartridge Problem” with the coloured cartridge outlined with broken red lines.  

I am at my wit’s end. I can’t keep buying new cartridges – on the off chance that they may work. I have wasted so much time and money – and nothing to show for it.  I need to get to the bottom of this. I am afraid if I buy a new printer the same thing might happen. I have a feeling that it is not the cartridge at fault. I know about the drive by HP to make 3rd party ink unusable. I am wireless, although I have tried a cable. Has anyone any suggestions. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@LadyFuchsia, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

HP recommends using HP ink cartridges. HP cannot guarantee the functionality of non-HP ink cartridges. It may or may not work. Perform the steps mentioned in this document to resolve ink cartridge issues - HP Printer Does not Print and Error Indicates Faulty Ink Cartridge

The ink cartridge that you replaced it with was protected by the previous owner before it was refilled and hence will not work on your printer.

Use the HP Smart app to print and scan from your Win 10 PC(this will work only if the ink cartridges are working)

Click here to download and know more about the app.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.