Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 6400e All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently got a used HP Envy 6400e. I installed the HP Smart software and two new ink cartridges. It doesn't print and it doesn't give me any errors. I rebooted the computer and unplugged/re-plugged the printer back in.  One time it did spit out a blank sheet of paper, but that's it. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Try the factory reset described on page 6 of the users manual

Turn it off

Open the cartridge door.

With the cartridge access door open, press and hold the
Wi-Fi and Power buttons for at least three seconds

See if you can get any type of status report (page 7)

Possibly the cartridges are not genuine HP, or the printer wants setup  cartridges, or possibly you need to sign up for an ink program as the previous owner did not want to do that.  These are just guesses.  You need the error message.  To get an error message I suspect you need to be running HP Smart and connected to the printer over WiFi so HP smart can report the error.

This video shows how to connect to the modem using hp_smart and a smartphone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G571t_brS7s

You may have to bypass cartridge setup if the printer is asking for setup cartridges.

I have no idea if the following works as it is a different model.  Note that HP smart was asking for setup cartridges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eh8hs99h-0&ab_channel=DAVIDSII

If asking for setup cartridges and the above does not work then contact HP and ask for help.

Click here for world-wide contact info

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.