Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
MFP M281 fdw printer

HP pushed an update to my MFD M281fdw and ever since I installed it the printer is starting up, within a minute or two saying “error 79 service error” then restarting.  It was working just fine before the update.  Printer is 14 months old.
I’ve plugged it into the Mac via Ethernet and checked I have the latest software,  strangely when connected to the Ethernet and not the wifi it doesn’t restart with the error but as soon as you unplug the Ethernet it restarts with the same error message.  Makes me think it’s something to do with the wifi  driver as when connected to the Mac and it’s not using the wifi it’s fine.

Other issue that it’s now asking for only Hp toner which is irritating but not as irritating as it constantly restarting.

I’ve restored defaults, tried a reset (thumb on the corner of the display) and nothing works.

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Mine is doing the same thing ,  2 years and not an issue , then today someone hit update and its a POS. 4 hours searching the net and nothing of value !!   I left HP the first time for this crap.   

Hope they find a solution !  FAST!!!

HP Recommended

Same thing here......

I tried installing the latest firmware update to help resolve.

This started happening yesterday.....very suspicious.

This occurs when I try to print from a mac, or a windows PC or even USB.....as soon as it starts spooling it goes into 79 Service error.

HP Needs to undo what they did....

HP Recommended

Well, no thanks to HP for help. I managed to unbrick my printer.

I had to disable the WiFi, then connect the printer to the computer through a USB cable, and force a previous firmware update, which I managed to locate through another forum.

Thumbs down to HP for lack of support.

HP Recommended

Can you direct me to where you found the firmware update? I'm so frustrated with this! Thanks.

HP Recommended

Same issue. Doesn't HP support monitor these forums and engage when an issue like this crops up for multiple people? Seems like their engineers should get working on a fix and publish it broadly. 

HP Recommended

I have stumbled upon another fix without downgrading the firmware (which I have not been able to get to work on my printer - it won't take the old firmware).

If you're using genuine HP ink cartridges, and do not need IPv6 support on your printer (if you don't know, you almost certainly don't need it), then:

- turn off wifi and make sure the network cable is unplugged

- on the printer network setup menu under "Network Services", find "IPv6" and turn it off (exactly where this is varies by printer)

- turn wifi back on, and your printer will hopefully work

I do not have any information on why this works, I found it only when trying to work out why my printer seemed to work on some networks (ones with no ipv6 on the network) and not on others.

Hope this helps

HP Recommended

This worked for me too as a temporary fix but now I have to go pay out more than the printer cost to use HP toner.  Shocking quality control by HP to push a fix that breaks a recent printer model.  Hopefully the next firmware update fixes it but frankly HP just don’t seem to care at all.

HP Recommended

The IPv6 fix worked for me.

I couldn't find a way to disable IPv6 on the printer menu but I loaded the HP Smart app on my PC and found it on the networking tab in the configuration\advanced section. Click on IPv6 to deselect it and then click apply. 

Thanks Mike10500!

HP Recommended

Yep. What's happening is HP issued firmware updates that block non-OEM cartridges from being used at all. To my knowledge, this issue exists currently on the following models:

M153/M154

M180/M181

M254dn (this issue appears only on the dn model)

and M281 (both fdw & cdw)

We've been remotely downgrading firmware for our customers and instructing them to turn off "Allow Updates" and "Automatic Updates" JUST so they can use their printer. A lot of these people are working from home and wake up one day to find a 79 error and a boot loop. This is crazy.

I have backups of this old firmware, if anyone would need them. Very easy to downgrade. Couple clicks. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.