Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

To be clear, the Error 79 continuous reboot loop happens whether you have genuine HP cartridges or not.

What's happening here is that HP are pusing a completely BROKEN firmware update, which they claim fixes a seucirty hole but actually turns your printer into a very expensive breezeblock.

HP have no intention of fixing this or even acknowledging that its a problem.

Disabling IPv6 support appears to get the printer working again (provided you have genuine cartridges).  But yes definitely disable any further firmware udpates, and if your network was designed in the last 15 years and needs IPv6 you'll need to downgrade the firmware as well.

At the first available opportunitey replace your printer with a non-HP model.

HP Recommended

I am having the boot look 79 Error code with the latest push of f/w.  Can you send the older version of f/w that works without all this trouble?

Thanks -- david9905

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem once I got the notice for the update, but I don't know how to fix it. My printer is on a continuous loop of Error 79 Turn On and Off and Initializing, it won't allow me to check for updates to firmware. Is there any way to contact HP by phone for help?

HP Recommended

Disabling IPv6 worked for me, too! Thanks!

HP Recommended

Big Tony:  None of the backups posted work for the M180 printer connected to a Mac, only Windows.  Can you help here?

HP Recommended

For older firmwares please check https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/firmware-update-warning/ 

Please keep in mind your printer has to be with Allow Downgrade ENABLED in order to install the old firmware !

Here are short video instructions i found on the net: https://youtu.be/3DxGnet3XLg 

Stefan
HP Recommended

I'm having this very same problem. When I do a reset the printer will connect to wifi, but the moment you add the printer to a computer the boot-loop starts. Only ever used genuine HP toner. The toners are all very, very low at the moment, I'm wondering if that might be an issue as well.

I will change the IPv6 setting today.

Where can I find the older firmware?

HP Recommended

I HAVE the 20200612 firmware installed and I HAVE ipv6 disabled and I still get this error and reboot just about every time my GF tries to print anything from her Win10 laptop.

So now what? Already did all the supposed fixes...

I seem to have better luck from linux but I don't print very often. She prints several times a day, and starting a few months ago they just always cause the printer to crash and reboot, and then maybe prints one job ok after re-sending 2 or 3 times.

To think we PAID for this crap.

Next thing I'm trying is gutting out her printer drivers, because all that "HP Smart" stuff that HP drivers use these days is suspicious as hell. There is no excuse for a printer driver to need an account registration with a remote web site... I'm going to rip all that out and install a basic laserjet PCL driver, and configured using standard old static IP and LPR or port 9100 protocol and see if that makes it reliable.

IDK what I'll do about scanning. Maybe I can find an old version of the driver packages that had TWAIN drivers before everything was converted over to HP Smart. I can scan ok from linux.

HP Recommended

I have this problem, but worse....  I can't get the printer to come up enough to get to the control panel.

I was   My husband first got the error when I was out of town.  The yellow was empty.  I tried to put my non-HP cartridge in, but the error came up even sooner.  I put all the original cartridge's  back in, and still the same issue.  I went and got a new HP Cyan carriage as it was very low too.  Still no luck.  The black and magenta cartridges have plenty left in them.  But it still won't stay on long enough to get the control panel .  I'm getting close to junking this one and get a new one.

Very FRUSSTRAITING . 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.