Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Just had a very odd experience at the hands of HP Support. Very odd. Has anyone else experienced the same?

i was in the process of setting up my new HP printer and was directed to an HP website by the setup booklet to access and install software and drivers. A chat option popped up. The HP rep asked what printer I was setting up and offered to set up via remote access to my Mac. Sounded good.

Very quickly he was experiencing problems and concluded a networking issue blocking installation.  Very odd. Not had that before. I suggested my Mac security settings were very likely at fault and that the software needed whitelisting. Not that, said he.  He said he could fix this (30-40 mins or so) so it wouldn’t cause any further issues. Then it became clear that a ‘nominal’ fee would be involved.

Since when does a brand new printer incur charges to install and set up drivers? Isn’t their job to resolve associated issues? After declining his offer and making clear my annoyance I set about starting again, installing myself, whitelisting the paused software installation to complete the set up without issues. 

Has as anyone else experienced anything like this? Seems very immoral and stinks of some kind of scam. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@aphid2aphid

I saw those popups many times during a day when looking for drivers to help our members and I simply ignore al. Reason: I don't know who is the right persons.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello aphid,

So, is the printer operational now?  Do you need any further assistance.  Get back if needed.

The official HP site (it has HP logo in upper left) is 123.HP.com.  (see illustration below from the Setup Guides).

Caution there are similar urls (123HP.com, 123.HP.com-connect, etc.), which bring up 3rd party sites, who will scam, which you perceived.

Yes, I have seen several threads where people got on some bogus site like you did.  Some paid for it, unfortunately.  There is no chat when you get on the site suggested in the Startup Guide.   It seamlessly walks you through the process.

You can also download from the HP.com support link:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-5660-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6809225/model/6809226/...

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

HP Recommended

Hello. Thanks for your reply and yes, my printer is working fine, thanks. The installation was quite straightforward when I did it myself. Interesting that I typed in the correct web site but the resulting site seemed slightly different. But that can be the case quite legitimately. This would suggest some kind of scam is going on here, particularly when you say the official site, which I got second time around, has no chat option. I have a screenshot of part of the trans script. If this redirection is rife it begs the question - what is HP doing about the blatant exploitation of its customers? And to think I turned over access to my computer via a download that I promptly deleted! Fortunately, with a Mac, setting are locked down pending admin password access so I am confident that this would frustrate a malicious attack. 

HP Recommended

Hello again Aphid,

You clearly can handle the techy aspects, and you have very succintly described the nefarious program. 

HP needs a more distinctive web page or a different method.  For one thing, although 123.HP.com appears to be official, if there are scammers that can exploit that, all HP needs to do is have a different procedure in the "Startup Guides."  They should be able to direct new users to the actual software link and not use 123.HP.com which is a third party.

I don't recall exactly the details, but I encountered one thread where the individual's mother-in-law had downloaded from some look-alike (123.HP.com/download) and paid out something  like $300.  HP is negligent.

Below is what I get when reaching 123.HP.com.  It has the HP logo and I've worked through it before and it is legit.

I am not an HP employee, just searching for answers for questions on the forum.

No need to reply.  Bye.

Regards,

Rich

Capture3.PNG

HP Recommended
I just went through the same thing.
Printer installation a bogus HP site.
I also gave up control of my Lenovo.
I also discontinued call when I was asked for money. Also, I then went to legit HP and all is well with printer. I'm still worried!
How can I be sure they're out for good.
Windows. Thanks.
HP Recommended

i had the same experience. The guy told me they would fix it for me in 30 - 40 minutes and it would cost me $149.99. Fortunately I was able to get out of the discussion, but I will be checking my  credit card bills very closely .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.