Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP M1217 Printer-Scanner
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have always had problems setting up this printer... for which reason, I have taken copious notes each time I have done so.

Once again, HP have somehow managed to complicate things enough for my notes no longer to work.

My printer is currently plugged in using a USB connection.

What I want to do is configure it to use a new Wifi network in my home.

Please read this paragraph before recommending a download. After navigating what passes for "guidance" on the HP site I have already downloaded three files which purported to be the solution to my problem: LJPro_MFP_M127-M128_full_solution_15309.exe, LJM1130_M1210_M1217_FW_Update_Security.exe and HP_M1130_M1210_MFP_Full_Solution-v20180815-10158769.exe.

On executing, mostly these have some clunky "extracting..." dialog (something from the 1970s) ... followed by: NOTHING! NOTHING RUNS after extraction! Way to go, HP! That's the way to build your reputation as a competent master tech manufacturer!

One of these files did actually run... and then said "going to look for your printer on the network". The effing point is that the effing printer is NOT ON THE NETWORK. Because. I. Have. No. Idea. How. To. Configure. The. New. Network. In. It.

Surprise! After searching for an eternity it finally said "can't find your printer on the network".

Please note that this is Windows 10, version "20H2" (which is I think the latest upgrade/update of the OS). This may or may not be significant.

Please note, also, that I want to print to this device through the Wifi network. I do not want some sort of "direct communication" thing. For one thing, this computer does not have a Wifi adapter: I access the Net solely through an Ethernet connection.  Thus, the idea is: "print command goes out through Ethernet --> Reaches Wifi unit --> Wifi unit broadcasts to printer --> Printer is configured to receive Wifi --> Printer prints something". This is how I have been doing this for many, many months with the previous Net provider.

Any help appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@mrodent

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Change the connection type with the HP Printer Setup & Software utility or with the HP Smart app for Windows 10. Leave the USB cable connected until you are prompted to disconnect it.

HP Printer Setup & Software utility: Search Windows for 'HP', and then click the name of your printer in the results to open HP Printer Assistant. Click Utilities or Tools in the top menu bar, click Printer Setup & Software or Device Setup & Software, and then click Convert a USB connected printer to wireless to launch the utility.

Figure : Convert a USB connected printer to wireless utility in HP Printer Assistant

Convert a USB connected printer to wireless utility in HP Printer Assistant

HP Smart app: On the app home screen, look for a Make printing easier by connecting your printer wirelessly message at the top of the window. If it displays, click Learn More to start the guided conversion.

NOTE: If the message does not display, use the method to convert the connection through the HP Printer Setup & Software utility.

Figure : Set up the printer wirelessly in HP Smart

Set up a new printer feature in HP Smart

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.