Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
03-13-2021 08:43 PM
Jay_G24, I completed all the steps you provided Bill2421 for an installation problem that reads like mine. I’m using Win10 version 20H2, and was able to complete your instructions. The result is this same error message I’ve gotten on numerous prior fix attempts:
•This app can’t run because it causes security or performance issues on Windows. A new version may be available. Check with software provider for an updated version that runs on this version of Windows
The application I’ve been trying to install is the one on the HP website for Windows 10 (64-bit): HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads.
The download file is titled: HP Deskjet F4400 All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Driver. The file name is: DJ_AIO_05_F4400_NonNet_Full_Win_WW_140_404-4.
I tired installing the application as Run as Administrator and not so. Neither way worked, I get the same error message
Can you provide me with a fix for the install problem?
Thank for your help. Ken
FYI NOTE: I’ve been using my F4480 printer on Win10 [with updates] since it came out with no prior issues. But in mid January ‘21 a problem. When I tired to run a job, the HP Solution Center part of the software program required to run the print and scan functions would not activate. I couldn’t get it to work, so as a fix, I tired a reinstall of the application listed above. But, no success.
Solved! Go to Solution.
04-02-2021 04:57 PM
UPDATE as of 4-2-21: I was able to speak with a live person at this # _____ [I can't post the # per the posting rules] . He said he was an HP employee. When I identified the printer model, he rather immediately said: "HP no longer provides a driver for model F4480 that would work on Windows 10". He said the F4480 is obsolete, I need to get a current model.
He could not answer my questions:
- Why does the HP support website continue to post information that says a software app is available for use with Windows 10?
- Why has my F4480 been working on my Windows 10 PC for last 3+ years without an issue? That's until a software glitch in mid Jan 2021, for which you say there is now no fix support which is contrary to HP's website info?
04-03-2021 08:55 AM
I'd like to help!
The drivers were last updated on 27 Jan 2016.
Adobe has stopped supporting the Flash player that was required for HP Solution Centre. There is no update on new software as of now.
You can print using Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:
• Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add a printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.
• When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.
• Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.
Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.
Note: If the printer is not found in the list, try Deskjet 990c or Deskjet 6980 to install the printer as these are the generic printer drivers.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
And, Welcome to the HP Support Community.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping
04-06-2021 01:04 PM
Jay_G24, I got the F4480 to function, it scans and prints. Many thanks for your help. The fix was amazingly simple. I was stunned. See part B below.
For the Support Community record, I followed your advice:
A. Using the Control Panel with the Add Printer Steps did not work. I could get Windows10 to recognize the HP F4400 Series. But the Windows Update didn’t work-I tried a test print and scan, both failed. I tried similar Add Printer steps numerous times over the prior weeks using the Windows10 Settings/Devices page, as well as, by the Control Panel route, with the same negative outcome
B. I went to the Website link you have posted. I had bookmarked an HP site with similar info. But the link you’ve posted has one significant new part. Its the step - Change device installation settings. This is the section of the web link I followed:
- Add a USB-connected printer to Windows
- Set up a USB printer connection in Windows without installing any additional drivers.
- Step 1: Search Windows for and open Change device installation settings, and then make sure Yes (recommended) is selected.
- Steps 2&3: As stated on the website
- Step 4: If a Found new hardware message displays, follow any prompts to install the printer. If you can print, the driver installed successfully.
- Kenmv comment:
- 1) No message displayed. I tried to scan and print, both worked. I used Windows commands: A Windows System Scan app, and used Print from the file menu in a Word and PDF document. I now have a functional F4480 without use of HP Solution Center.
- 2) At FAQs on this same website, read ..How do I use the printer functions and settings?.. and added a Shortcut to my desktop, it’s a handy one click to the Windows Fax and Scan function
- Kenmv comment:
Summary Review on the Fix Process:
- The Good: The Support Community website, help from Jay_G24, and Gwen-HP Email and Chat Representative, who tired to help.
- The Bad:
- Use of HP’s support tools Virtual Assistant and Scan Doctor was a waste of time, a circular dead end process. My observation is these tools are predicated on leading to a current correct fix, an absolute end point with no outlet for exceptions. The end point, the software app posted as applicable does not work, it has a glitch, and has not been updated as Jay points out.
- Failed phone support from an HP provided contact number, the phone ID is iDea Electronics Inc. The person I spoke with on a request for help, quickly and brashly said.. the F4480 is no longer supported by HP, it is obsolete, there is no fix, I need to get a new printer
04-06-2021 01:13 PM
I am glad the issue is resolved.
I will share your feedback with the concerned team.
If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.
Have a great day ahead!
Please click “Accepted Solution” on my public post if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!