Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Fax management software (fax logs, settings, etc.) is gone, apparently after uodating Windows 10.  Now I only have HP Smart with only Print and Scan functions.  How can I get back the HP Fax Management software?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@PSS67

Quoted:

Thanks for your reply.   I finally got around to trying this.  I removed the device and tried again, but I have exactly the same problem.  The full feature HP software just doesn't get installed.  Originally, I also had an Officejet Pro 6970 Fax listed in my Devices (from the original installation of the printer)  and I removed that as well, but now I don't know how to get that back (thought that might be why I don't get fax management software as part of HP Smart).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the Full Feature Software is not installed, the Fax software (a subset of the Full Feature Software) does not get installed.

HP Smart is primarily for use on mobile devices (phones, tablets) that run iOS or Android, for example.  

HP Smart, as installed onto Windows, does not provide any Fax capabilities.  

I am wondering whether the printer is on the network at all.

For Example:

If the Ethernet connection is  not working (cannot install using that connection), and the subsequent attempts to install on Wireless do not work, then where (on the network) is the printer?  

Can you ping the printer? 

Does the printer have an IP address? 

To which port is the printer connected?

If the printer is connected to Wireless, is the printer wireless light on "Steady Blue"?

Quoted:

By the way, the printer is listed as: HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 PCL-3

What is the PCL-3?  Why is that there?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article, one of many such on the Internet, does a pretty good job of explaining PCL.  The article is short and easy-to-read.  The Differences Between the PostScript and PCL Drivers

I cannot answer the "why" - I would guess that the "descriptive" bits are meant to provide an extra means of identifying the printer.

Quoted:

Additionally, when checking the printer properties the following processors are listed:

hpzpp4v2

hpfpp082

hpfpp02t

winprint

and the last one, winprint was chosen (automatically).  Is this correct?

Winprint is the standard print processor provided by Windows.  Yes, for any except those instances where the processor is not doing its job, this is correct.  Years past, it was thought that the standard Windows print processor was not always adequate.  Windows software is much better now.

I only have driver reference files for a couple of the processors you list, one is used for XP (and older), the other is listed as a Vista print processor.

The little processor libraries work with the spooler software (Print Services).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@ShlomiL -

Words of wisdom? 

There is some indication (earlier posts) from the OP that the printer is (was?) not sitting properly on the Ethernet connection.  I cannot provide a fix for this.  To install on other than a USB cable, the printer must be on the network.   I would guess that the Ethernet connection is / was not working and the printer has (perhaps) been discovered on the wireless network.

The OP (@PSS67)  reports that the easy stuff has been done: 

• Remove the printer software from Programs and Features / Features and Apps.
  • Restart the computer and log in.
  • Remove the printer devices from the Device Manager.
  • Attempt to install downloaded Full Feature Software

OP's unrelated followup questions have been answered - please check; add comments if you like.

What about extracting the setup (installer) from the files in Temp?

Clear Temp, start over?

Other?

What about port?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@PSS67

It sounds like you need to reinstall the Full Feature Software

The printer software includes the Fax software.

I do not know how / whether you can recover your Fax setups and logs (or if it will be necessary).

You may well have to start over.  ??

If the printer is connected to the network, use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to set up and manage your printer, including the Fax.

Example:

HP_8630_EWS_Fax_2HP_8630_EWS_Fax_2 

Reference and Resources

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One Printer series

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks.  This let me see the fax logs and all faxes sent and received were listed.

Unfortunately, I unnecessarily ran the fax setup wizard (the fax was already setup),

because this reset the number of rings.  I had an issue with this because of my built-in answering machine which prevented me from receiving faxes and I don't remember the the setting I chose which solved this problem, but I can solve that.

As for the Full Feature Software, I tried to install that, but when I clicked on the downloaded exec file, after extracting and getting permission,  I was asked to continue from step 2 (Connect), and then I get two options:

Connect a new device (but it's already connected)

Reconfigure wireless settings (I connect via ethernet)

If I choose to connect a new device, I can choose Automatic (Recommended) or Manual setup.

I choose Autiomatic Setup and am told to connect my device with an ethernet cable.  SInce it is already connected, I click next and get an error: Unable to find device.  I am asked to input an IP address or hostname, click Search and it goes into HP Device Setup Processes and asks for information about the device (Use/Location) which I answer.  I get a message that the software is installed and I need to activate.  I get a registration which I fill out and submit and I'm all set.

But where is the software?  Nothing has changed.  I have done this three or four times now and I'm stumped.

HP Recommended

@PSS67

If the printer balks at the Ethernet network step during installation of the printer software, uninstall the printer and any “unknown device” found in the Device Manager > Printers category.

Paraphrased solution Contributed by  ShlomiL

Try following these steps and check if that may make any difference:

Open the printer software and select Connect a New Printer

Select Wired Network, select your printer and press Next

Right click the Start icon and select Device Manager

Expand category 'Printers'

Delete any listed instance of your printer model or Unknown DeviceRight-Click and click Uninstall

On the Printer installation screen:  Click Cancel, allow it some moments till the connection type screen is shown again

Allow it 20-30 seconds, then repeat the steps again to select your printer and complete the network installation

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.   I finally got around to trying this.  I removed the device and tried again, but I have exactly the same problem.  The full feature HP software just doen't get installed.  Originally, I also had an Officejet Pro 6970 Fax listed in my Devices (from the original installation of the printer)  and I removed that as well, but now I don't know how to get that back (thought that might be why I don't get fax management software as part of HP Smart).

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Additionally, when checking the printer properties the following processors are listed:

hpzpp4v2

hpfpp082

hpfpp02t

winprint

HP Recommended

@PSS67

Quoted:

Thanks for your reply.   I finally got around to trying this.  I removed the device and tried again, but I have exactly the same problem.  The full feature HP software just doesn't get installed.  Originally, I also had an Officejet Pro 6970 Fax listed in my Devices (from the original installation of the printer)  and I removed that as well, but now I don't know how to get that back (thought that might be why I don't get fax management software as part of HP Smart).

If the Full Feature Software is not installed, the Fax software (a subset of the Full Feature Software) does not get installed.

HP Smart is primarily for use on mobile devices (phones, tablets) that run iOS or Android, for example.  

HP Smart, as installed onto Windows, does not provide any Fax capabilities.  

I am wondering whether the printer is on the network at all.

For Example:

If the Ethernet connection is  not working (cannot install using that connection), and the subsequent attempts to install on Wireless do not work, then where (on the network) is the printer?  

Can you ping the printer? 

Does the printer have an IP address? 

To which port is the printer connected?

If the printer is connected to Wireless, is the printer wireless light on "Steady Blue"?

Quoted:

This article, one of many such on the Internet, does a pretty good job of explaining PCL.  The article is short and easy-to-read.  The Differences Between the PostScript and PCL Drivers

I cannot answer the "why" - I would guess that the "descriptive" bits are meant to provide an extra means of identifying the printer.

Quoted:

hpzpp4v2

hpfpp082

hpfpp02t

winprint

Winprint is the standard print processor provided by Windows.  Yes, for any except those instances where the processor is not doing its job, this is correct.  Years past, it was thought that the standard Windows print processor was not always adequate.  Windows software is much better now.

I only have driver reference files for a couple of the processors you list, one is used for XP (and older), the other is listed as a Vista print processor.

The little processor libraries work with the spooler software (Print Services).

@ShlomiL -

Words of wisdom? 

There is some indication (earlier posts) from the OP that the printer is (was?) not sitting properly on the Ethernet connection.  I cannot provide a fix for this.  To install on other than a USB cable, the printer must be on the network.   I would guess that the Ethernet connection is / was not working and the printer has (perhaps) been discovered on the wireless network.

The OP (@PSS67)  reports that the easy stuff has been done: 

• Remove the printer software from Programs and Features / Features and Apps.
  • Remove the printer devices from the Device Manager.
  • Attempt to install downloaded Full Feature Software

OP's unrelated followup questions have been answered - please check; add comments if you like.

What about extracting the setup (installer) from the files in Temp?

Clear Temp, start over?

Other?

What about port?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

It seems as something not going well with the device configuration, please try the following steps and check if that may help:

1. Open the Control Panel and select Devices and Printers.
  2. Remove any listed HP printer and restart your computer.
  3. Right-click the Start button and select Run, then paste the following and press OK:
    printui.exe /s
  4. Within the Drivers tab remove any listed HP printer.
  5. From the Control Panel select Uninstall a Program.
  6. Locate the HP Officejet Pro 6970 Basic Device Software, select it and click Repair.
  7. Confirm any shown UAC prompt by selecting Yes or OK.
  8. Open the HP Software and select Connect a New printer, then select Automatic Setup and select the printer, then press Next.
  9. If it hangs during the network device configuration, while the installation running right click the start menu and select Device Manager.
  10. Expand both the Software Devices and Printers categories and uninstall any instance of your printer
  11. Cancel the HP installation, allow it a minute and run it again, then check for any difference.

May you were able to reconfigure your printer by performing these steps? may you now able to see the fax functions back?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

Can you ping the printer?   Yes

Does the printer have an IP address?  Yes (192.168.1.27)

To which port is the printer connected?  WSD

If the printer is connected to Wireless, is the printer wireless light on "Steady Blue"?  Wireless is not enabled

Moreover, the printer network configuration page confirms the ethernet settings.

Also, when I enter the IP address the printer is found.  But the software isn't installed.

Restart the computer and log in.

I didn't do this.  I will repeat all the steps restarting after steps 1 and 3.

Thanks,

Peter

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.