Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet MFP M477fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m477-series/7326560

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 Printer Series PCL-6 v4 Driver

131.8 MB

When I iterate through this installer.. It jumps from like 15% to 99% success.
But none of the software is showing in 'Add/Remove' (IRIS OCR, the core installer, HP Scan, etc)
The printer however, gets added to 'Devices and Printers' and mapped to WSD port.

If I re-run the installer binary, it mentions 'failed to install properly last time when run.. need to iterate through an uninstall first'.  Completes this, *apparently* successfully.. but I can't get all the software loaded... 😕

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Install logs ?

I can trace them myself..

Just need to know where to find them...

Soooo many people complaining about printer software failing to install... not connecting to printers... etc...

HP more than any other vendor... 😕

HP Recommended

In order to "Print" & "Scan" both you need to Install the Full Solution Software but there is no Full Solution Software available for this printer for Windows 10 (64 bit) OS. If you install HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 PCL-6 v driver nly the basic driver for printing will be installed which will not let you Scan. I will let you know a work Around which will definately work.

>> Uninstall the previously installed drivers or software related to M477

>> Restart your PC

>> Disable the Antivirus / Firewall

>> Download the Universal Print Driver  (PCL6 or PS driver) for Windows 10 (64 bit ) from the link below:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/UPD/4157320/model/4157320

>> Run the above driver

>> Select the Traditional mode if asked

After this driver is installed you will be able to print.

# In order to Scan Please use the below link:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

>> Click on the abovelink and it will start downloading

>> Run the downloaded software

>> You will be able to scan from this software.

Please try this, I am Sure it will work. If you face any difficulty please let me know further.

HP Recommended

@Kaukab wrote:

In order to "Print" & "Scan" both you need to Install the Full Solution Software but there is no Full Solution Software available for this printer for Windows 10 (64 bit) OS.   

???

Umm.. you sure ?

http://imgur.com/a/wFCJC

HP Recommended

Yes it will work. It has worked for me as well as many other.

Hope it works for you :generic:

HP Recommended

The software is a mess..

Anyway I can install it without actually connecting to the printer ?

The ridiculous software mandates the need to see the printer.

It can't install with a 'bypass' or 'skip' connecting to the actual printer ?

HP Recommended

The installation steps is as given below:

>> Download the PCL6 or PS driver from the link sent

>> Unzip

>> Accept the License Agreement > Next

>> Select Traditional Mode > next

>> Select Add a printer using TCP/IP address or Hostname (If installing on network) or Else Select add a Local printer or network printer  with manual setting (USB connection)

It is better to keep the printer connected . There is an option where you can install the driver without connecting the printer but again to print you will have to go to port and chnage the port.

Please confirm you are installing on network or USB first

HP Recommended

This is an easy fix...DO NOT download or try to install the 64-bit installer for any OS.  The TWAIN driver is 32-bit and will cause issues when trying to install.  Whether you are using Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit or Windows 10 64-bit, always choose the 32-bit installer from the HP website and use that to install the MFP.  You will have no issues.  

The reason for this is that a 64-bit TWAIN driver doesn't exist (for any mfp).  Good luck everyone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.