Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Office Jet 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Digital fax was not sending faxes to the designated location and I could not figure out why. It was working for years (also with the 8600 before that) and then suddenly stopped. The message from test and save was that it could not find the network drive. The fax location was set as \\server\Faxes. No combination of location was successful. In utter frustration I deleted the 8710 software from the control panel and reinstalled it from the HP website. I did not reboot the machine. Still not successful. I then tried the static IP location of the \\server computer ie \\198.168.1.25\Faxes. That worked. Why? Why? Why?

PS "Faxes" is a shared location on the \\server computer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I did upgrade the printer firmware but that did not help.

As I stated I did find the solution, although why using the computer address works and the named computer does not is still a mystery. Also the user name uses the computer name and not the address. And why it should stop working suddenly is quite puzzeling.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please follow the steps to update the printer directly from the printer and check if htere is any firmware update available? if any such available be sure to update the printer and then check:

https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c02919168

If the same persists please ensure that SMBv1 is enabled for your computer, the printer require SMBv1 to be enabled to connect to a shared folder.

From the Control Panel select Uninstall a Program, then press on Turn Windows features on or off and check SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support among any of its sub-options, then follow the steps on screen to enable the feature and test the profile for the printer again.

Note: Microsoft has released security update MS17-010 that resolves the SMB version 1 vulnerability used by the WannaCry attack, please ensure it is installed on your computer:

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I did upgrade the printer firmware but that did not help.

As I stated I did find the solution, although why using the computer address works and the named computer does not is still a mystery. Also the user name uses the computer name and not the address. And why it should stop working suddenly is quite puzzeling.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.