Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Does anybody know the details of the  HP C3972B Maintenance Kit?

The 220/240 volt maintenance kit for the Laserjet 5SI is listed in the Service Manual as part number C3972A/C3972-69001 but I'm not sure what the C3972B designation implies.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

According to HP PartsSurfer the B designation is for the 8000 series printers and in the compatibility listing it only lists the 8000 series.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You mean C3972A not B

It's the same maintenance kit but with different order codes, the one with the letter A is the sales order code, and the one with -69001 is the service order code. 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your posting.

In fact,  the Service Manual specifies the Miantenance kit for the Laserjet 5SI as:

C3972A/C3972-69001

But the reason I asked was because I have seen maintenance kits for the Laserjet 5SI advertised with part number:

C3972B

ie B not A.

So I wondered what the difference was, if any.

HP Recommended

According to HP PartsSurfer the B designation is for the 8000 series printers and in the compatibility listing it only lists the 8000 series.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your posting - that was very helpful.

I hadn't heard of HP PartSurfer before - that looks to be a really useful web site for checking part numbers.

HP PartSurfer

As you say, the B designation seems to apply to Laserjet 8000 series printers and the A designation to the Laserjet 5SI printers.

The only small area of doubt in my ,mind is that when I check for the C3167A (ie the HP Laserjet 5SI MX) HP PartSurfer shows C3972-69002 as the 220 volt maintenance kit - but it also shows a C3971 and C3971B as the 110 volt maintenance kit - so, I wonder of the B designation might, in some circumstances, also suit the 5Si printers as well as the 8000 series.

Also, the 8000 series uses the same toner cartridges as the 5SI series and generally looks to be a very similar printer - so I wonder if the C3971B maintenance kit and associated fuser might simply be a newer version which applies to both series.

Essentially, I'm just trying to find a replacement fuser unit (part number RG5-1871-190CN) for the 5SI MX and, as the fuser unit is included with the maintenance kits, I was looking for those.

It's an ageing printer, but I quite like it!

HP Recommended

Just as what may be a final comment on this subject: I finally obtained a C3972B Maintenance Kit and can confirm that it is exactly right for the Laserjet 5SI MX - it contains the correct fuser and two sets of pick up and feed/separation rollers.

Strangely, each set of rollers contains one pick up roller but only one feed/separation roller even tbough the printer uses two identicall feed and separation rollers for each tray - but that's a small point.

Essentially, anyone thinking iof getting this for the Laserjet 5SI can do so with confidence that it will work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.