Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laser jet pro MFP m281cdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Color Laser jet pro MFP m281cdw and it has a Firmware issue. All was working fine until on printer display pop for upgrade and I chose to do it.  I am still on the original cartridges and have had the printer for 2 years. The printer starts up and gives a "79 Service Error Turn off Turn on". It then turns off and repeats the same thing over and over.  I have gone into the printer's Setup | Service | LaserJet Update | Manage Updates | Allow Downgrade = yes, Allow Updates = yes. I have even tried to have it reset itself back to restore factory conditions I get code 49 then it goes back to code 79.  Nothing seams to work, the printer is in the 79 service error loop.  I have gone to HP web service and downloaded "M280_Series_FW_Update-20201021.nativeofficefonts" but the printer does not stay on long enough to load this.  I have read several HP forums and tried to do what they said to do but with no success. Give me a phone # to call for help. This is madness.  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

here is what i had to do.

setup >> network setup >> network services >> IPV6 to OFF

now it is working .  I did not have to do the download, reset to factory conditions, or anything else.  Just changing IPV6 = OFF and it started working again. 

HP Recommended

Due to a release with the new firmware 2020-10, my printer MFP M280nw does not accept the toner cartridge from other supplier than HP. the message on the printer is supply issue.

do you have a solution to come back to the old version firmware ?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm face with the same issue. I understood that it crashes when connecting to Wifi. So if you turn off the Wifi rapidly enough then I will not restart. Then you can use an old USB-A cable to downgrade the firmware using the Reddit link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1urL5kVlQYBZEFrVi2PO9Npf6Nla0PJLQ/view?usp=sharing

I hope it helps, 

Alex

HP Recommended

Hi Alex,

I found the solution :

Reinstall the previous version of the firmware with USB cable.

HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612.exe

And I desactived the automatic release in my printer.

On a general matter, I think it is an initiative of HP for forcing the customer to use HP components only.

it is not correct !

Bernard 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.