Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M283fdw

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M283fdw - From Android and iOS devices some PDFs don't print.

Hi,

Maybe someone can help.

When printing PDFs from an Android or iOS device some (only some) fail to print?? The same PDF will print from Windows. The printer has the most recent firmware (Firmware Datecode: 20200603).

To troubleshoot I have connected via USB, Ethernet and WiFi and re-tested with each but the issue persists. All documents with other file extensions do not appear to be affected only .PDF I can convert the problematic PDF to a Word document (.docx) and it will print. I am convinced that there's a bug affecting .PDF

On a couple of occasions the printer has displayed error 79 on the LCD panel and automatically restarted itself.

I have tried the following things but unfortunately this problem still persists.

Cleared the Android Print Spooler.
Restarted the Android smartphone.
Restarted the iOS iPhone.
Attempted printing the same document from an Android tablet.
I have attempted printing another PDF from the Android phone, Android tablet and iOS iPhone and this works. The problem only affects some PDF documents??

There's no restricted printing security flag on the affected PDFs.
According to the properties of the affected PDFs they were produced using Microsoft Print to PDF. To test this I created a PDF in this same manner but I was able to successfully print it from both my Android and iOS devices.

Ironically we only bought this printer 3 weeks ago because HP printers have been so trouble free over the years  :'''-(

Thank you for any other suggestions that you may have.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@BurroPoco, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this issue by performing the necessary troubleshooting steps.

This seems like an issue with the specific PDF documents. Those may not be compatible with the mobile device's OS like Android or iOS.

Are you using the HP Smart app to print from the Android phone?

Install and Use the HP Smart App

Also, use AirPrint to print from the iOS device and check if that helps.

Printing with Apple AirPrint (iOS)​​​​​​​ - Step 2

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Kumar0307

Thank you for your reply and suggestion.

I had previously printed successfully via the HP Smart software in Windows 10 but I hadn’t previously undertaken any testing directly from the HP Smart app from Android or iOS.

My Android smart phone already had the HP Print Service Plugin installed so I assumed that HP Smart would also effectively utilise this in the background, I does indeed appear to do so. I installed the HP Smart app nonetheless on both Android and iOS and re-tried printing. Unfortunately printing PDFs is similarly inconsistent. Some PDFs print, others appear to send the print job to the print queue but then the printer appears to fault as error 79 is displayed on the LCD panel of the printer and it automatically reboots itself.

Sadly I’ve now called time on the troubleshooting and I’m returning the printer to the retailer mainly since my family cannot reliably print and I’ve burned far too much time investigating this issue.

One of my first jobs in IT in the late 90’s was demonstrating HP printers, scanners and digital cameras and they were so great that they sold themselves. 20+ years and several technical roles later and I still work with various HP product lines including HPE Synergy and HPE 3Par and overall they’re foremost in the market so I still have lots of brand loyalty and affinity with HP.

I guess one bad experience in such a long time isn’t so bad although admittedly it will be a bit weird not having a HP printer at home after having about 10 in succession.

Thanks again,
BurroPoco

HP Recommended

@BurroPoco

I'm sorry to know that. As the issue persists while printing few PDF files, I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Kumar, that could be a problem with PDF files, not with printers. Try to make a test:

1.Take some .PDF files 2.Take some .JPG files (from employee monitoring software e.t.c)

3.Take some .doc files

Print them all and see, where is the problem, with format, or with printer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.