Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In printers I have previously I have been able to set up a custom print size to print greeting cards.  I have purchased some cards to make my own Christmas cards and have tried to set up a custom size for a card that is 14,4cm x 14.4cm square.  The paper size therefore needs to be 28.8 wide x 14.4 high.  i have created a custom page size in Publisher, created my card, I have then followed the instructions on the KB https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03890386 to set up the custom print size but after creating a custom form this does not appear when I go to print.  I assume this means that the printer does not support my custom card size, my question is does anyone know of an printer that will support me creating custom card sizes?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@LollyL 

One of the Officejet Pro mid-to-higher range printers will certainly do this.

Imperial

The printer needs to support custom paper form

11.3 inches wide by 5.6 inches and folded in half to the 5.6 inch size

You'll like need envelope printing as well, in a custom size.

The printer you have now will support Custom Form Sizes using Mac OS:

Printer Specifications for HP ENVY 4500, DeskJet 3540 Printers

Paper Handling > Supported custom sizes

Paper size
76 to 216 mm (3.5 to 8.5 in) wide and 127 to 356 mm (5.0 to 14.0 in) long
note:
Custom-sized paper is only supported on Mac.

New Printer Shopping...

Search for a printer in and just above your price range - I suggest start "higher" rather than lower - features drop off quickly when you look at budget printers.  For example, Deskjet printers generally do not support borderless printing. 

On printers that support borderless printing, the Media (kind of paper) or the paper size is usually limited.

Many printers do not support digital sending (smtp support for Scan to Email specialty settings and / or Scan to Network Folder, Fax to Email / Network Folder)

Printers that lack an ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) severely limit document handling.

Even printers with an ADF might not provide automatic two-sided scanning.

Think about what you want.

What if?

That said, letting someone else choose your printer is perhaps not the best idea.

What to do?

• Keep your printer specification data handy for reference.
  • Check at the HP Store for "Officejet Pro" printers.
  • Start at the "top" of the range you can even consider - no reason to start at the bottom.  Why?  The "top of the line does provide some pretty nice features and is worth a look even if you later decide to settle for a different printer.
  • Check the features provided on any potential printer against what you already have.

Example of a "top of line" Officejet Pro printer (at this writing):

Data sheet HP OfficeJet Pro 9025 All-in-One 

New Product? Need Help? HP Online Store – USA – Customer Service

Select Shop > Printers

Not your HP store?  Scroll to the bottom of the website and click the Flag to change regions.

For example: 

HP Store - UK

Customer Service - Examples

Self-Help Service, Account, Security and Privacy, Returns and cancellations, FAQ, Shopping, Shipping and delivery, Rebates / Coupons, Product Support, Parts and services

OR

Select a subject type

OR

Select a subject type

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, I think this may be a bit too much for what we use though.  We have an Instant Ink account currently and would like to continue with this, we rarely print sometimes not even 10 copies a month.  I was hoping to get something priced around £80 be a shame if I have to buy a different make.

HP Recommended

@LollyL 

You are welcome.

Sometimes the answer is not what you hope.

In other words, you can certainly create custom cards - but not in Windows on this printer.

What to do?

If you can adjust your idea of how to construct those cards, you could use A4 paper and a single fold to make the card.

Perhaps doable after all - as long as you stay within what your printer can do.

As to what you can spend.

Perfectly acceptable - I don't really know what you can get in that range.  I am in the USA.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Amazingly I did it! I switched the set up of the sizes around and bingo all now set up to print on my custom cards 😀

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.