Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 5541
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have an Envy 5541 (the same as a 5540 i assume) which works perfectly on a laptop and other devices in my home.  It was working just fine on my desktop computer until I reinstalled windows on a new M.2 drive.

Since then, when i try and install the printer using the full software (downloaded latest version) the printer stops at "Installing Network (or USB) device.

I've tried using the information in the virtual help thing, uninstalling and clearing everything (including the stuff in the registry) and reinstalling and I've tried running the HP Print and Scan Doctor, both didn't resolve the problem.

I can see an Envy Printer in my "printers and scanners" settings, but it says "Driver is unavailable"

The printer is detected when connecting via Wireless, it comes up in the list and has the correct IP address, but when the installer gets to the "installing network devices" it fails after a long while (although the printer app pops up in the corner halfway through).

When trying via USB, the installer doesn't see the printer when the cable is connected.

Pulling what hair I have left out and really need some advice please.

Many thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

any advice here would be really appreciated

HP Recommended

@DanSaxton 

I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok 

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click here to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it.

If the issue persists, please go ahead and install the windows built-in drivers: 

If a full feature driver from HP is not available for your printer, you must install the built-in print driver. A full feature driver for one or more Windows versions is not available for your printer, either from the CD that shipped with your printer or from the HP website.

NOTE:

Where is the download button? The HP print driver is built into the Windows operating system or is installed through the Windows Update feature on your computer. You do not need to download anything from a website in order to print, scan, or fax.

See the Frequently asked questions in this document for additional information, including how to scan using this driver.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: Click here

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher,

I followed your instructions exactly and I'm getting the same results...

I get to the stage where it asks for me to plug in my USB cable to the printer, then it has a little think about it for a while.

I get a pop-up saying a printer "is ready", but then the Device Connection window (that was thinking about the USB connection) comes back and says "The device was not able to connect successfully over the USB cable - please check the cable and then click Retry to try again"

I can see the printer in "Printers and Scanners". but it says "Driver is unavailable"

When I try using wireless i can see the printer in the box that says "devices found on the network" - i click on that (it has the correct IP address) it says "installing network device" (the green bar slides across the screen for about 5mins) and then it says "unsuccessful network installation - the device was unable to be installed over the network"

HP Recommended

@DanSaxton Please follow the below steps to assign a manual/static IP to resolve your concern:

-Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep' is disabled. Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto-Off. --Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also, check your Printers Properties.

-If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, turn off IPv6 in the printer.

-If needed and you assigned a static IP address, try using 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 at the Alternate DNS server. 

-Verify the printer is on the latest firmware by checking with the HP Support site.

In the router: (Refer to your router manual for information) 

Use a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never 'auto', try channel 1 first then the rest. 

Set router to 20Mhz only, or 145Mbps depending on the router. 

Always use WPA2-AES (Personal) encryption, but you can try `mixed' mode. 

Disable WPS and never use it and disable UPnP for the routers security. Nobody can hack your system now and helps with wireless connectivity (if you want to know why search the web).

If you have a dual-band router (2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands), make sure the SSID's are NOT the same, they must be different for all bands, even for any Guest networks.

SSID broadcast must be enabled.

Save all settings. Power off both, wait 2 mins. Power on the router and wait 2 mins. 

Power on the printer and verify it reconnects to the router

You can also refer to the below video for the same. 

Note that, in the video, the interface shown is the Windows interface, but the steps are the same as it done using a web browser. 

And the article may have the title of another printer, but the steps are bound to help resolve your concern as well.

LINK: Click here to watch

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm not sure if you missed this in my original post, but this desktop PC is the only computer that can't connect to this printer.

I have at least 3 other devices in my house that will connect to the printer with no problems at all.

I really don't think the issue is in the printer - it's something wrong with this computer and the software or connection from it to the printer.

Is there anything else you can suggest please?

HP Recommended

@DanSaxton The steps suggested in the last post, is for the printer, so it can connect to your desktop PC and the router well, considering it isn't doing that as of now, I suggest you perform the same and get back to us with the results, good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i'm not sure what you mean...

the printer is working perfectly on wireless to every other device in my home.

The router powers down and up every night, and is also working perfectly with every device in my home (including the printer).

I've put in a static IP address into the printer

The printer says it is "up to date" when i run the firmware software.

Auto Off/Sleep' is disabled

IPv6 is off

all the above made no difference.

I've tried removing all traces of the driver and printer and reinstalling using the windows drivers - it tries and then says "driver is unavailable" - i've then tried going into "Device Manager" and selecting "update driver" and let windows search automatically.  It then says "windows encountered a problem installing the drivers" ... "The print processor is unknown".

HP Recommended

@DanSaxton 

This might require remote access of the computer to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandytechy20,

I followed your instructions, but there is not an option to fill out a form anywhere I can see??

see screenshot:

Capture of HP Support page.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.