Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5660 e-All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Envy 5660 keeps giving me the message that my software needs to be upgraded to the newest software and to install it. I have done this several times and when it is finished it say it is complete but the printer cannot be found on the computer. I have also seen that my computer says the driver is missing. 

When my Windows 10 upgraded  maybe 2 weeks ago this is when the problem started. Is there a new Driver for my printer that works. The driver being used is from June 2017. This seems like an HP problem I can't fix unless you have a new dirver or someone can tell me how to make this work. I am very frustrated by this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To Mr. MKazi and others on this messaging about HP Envy 5660 not working and without "Driver" !!!!!  I have successfully talked to one of the biggy Main HP Tecky Software Engineers about my problem and others as well about this Driver situation and after talking to him on the phone while he also was given permission to enter onto my Computer we walked through the problems encountered with the Driver situation.

The Result was:  There was a problem finishing the install package from HP at the end of following all the procedures. Apparently the "Driver would not download properly to my system on Windows 10 (64bit). After "Lester saw what was finally happening he went into my dos setup and manually put in the right files needed to fix the problem. 

There was an apparent mixup with an older printer HP that I did have with dos folders in it and it was damaging my downloads.

So if you others run into this on the Envy 5660 all-in-one-Printer you too will have to reach a big HP Window Dos Techy to solve your problem.  

To reach a certified HP high end Tech person to talk to personally to fix your problem call:  1-800-474-6836

Hope this will finally help everyone, but it does still not fix the total solution of easily downloading the latest Web HP package Application.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi! @MitchellJoe, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you have issues connecting your printer to a windows PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Is your printer working with USB connection?

As you mentioned you have issues connecting your printer to a PC and you are getting error printer driver is missing on your PC.

First, uninstall the printer software from root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

Select your HP printer.

Select Uninstall.

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

Select OK.

Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

Close Devices and Printers.

Update the full feature printer software using this link.

Use the printer's built-in Wireless Setup Wizard to walk you through finding your network name and entering the network password to connect the printer to your wireless network.

1.Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already turned on.

2.On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon (). The Wireless Summary screen displays.

3.Touch the Settings icon (), and then touch Wireless Settings. 

4.Touch Wireless Setup Wizard, and then follow the instructions on the control panel to connect the printer to your wireless network.

Refer this article to know more information about setting up the printer wirelessly.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My Printer is connected by wireless and it has been updated by the web app and all, but it won't work as it says there is "No Driver" period no matter how many times I have repeated all the steps I have seen. When Windows 10 updated last Dec. 10th that's when the problem started. I did backend on my computer to the previous date to see if that would fix the problem but that didn't fix it either. I have done all the suggested answers I have seen on all the Posted Messages and none of them work. I still believe this is a HP problem with their version of the Driver they offer that was last initiated back in June. It has been a long time for a driver not to be updated with the latest Windows 10 environment. I truly believe this is an HP fault and I am wanting to get another HP according to my Warranty on this HP Envy 5660 and to hope it will work with the latest Windows 10 environment. If nobody can give me a straight answer I will scream!!!! Please get together with your techs at your end to find out about this, I am not the only one with this problem and I have seen on other posts using the HP Envy5660 that there is no driver that will work with this Printer version. 

HP Recommended

I'm in exactly the same situation as you with my Envy 5644. I see numerous posts also with the same type of problem and the only advice is always to remove and reinstall which never seems to work. The 1709 Fall Creators Update to Win10 has broken something in the HP drivers and HP needs to sort it out. It is months since the roll out of 1709 was started, plenty of time to release new drivers or a patch.

HP Recommended

@MitchellJoe, @Tiptonian, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Try the steps recommended below and let me know how it goes.

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer & PC if present.
Go to control panel – Programs and features – Select all HP Photosmart printer entries and uninstall them.
Go to control panel – Devices and printers – Select each of the printer entries and then select remove printer / device.
Now press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
Again go to "run" window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
Now restart your computer.
Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.
Click on HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads to install the printer drivers.
Connect the USB cable if needed.

If the issue still persists, try creating a new user account with administrator rights and install the printer software again and check if it works.

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

MrRobot, As you are an HP employee, perhaps you could do something about getting new Win10 Fall Creators Edition compatible drivers released instead of churning out the same pointless stock suggestions to remove and re-install. I've been through all this multiple times.

HP Recommended

As before and again I just don't think HP understands what we are going through trying to get an updated driver for our HP Envy 5660 and other similar printer.  I think I will have to call the HP Corp. or their other Techs to understand our problems. I still have not seen one real answer yet, maybe if HP can find a HP Envy 5660 printer themselves and look at it  and see if they have our similar problems and what they did to fix it as I would surely like to know. 

Still waiting for another answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

@MitchellJoe

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region. Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi, it has been at least 4 business days since we last messaged together for my problem with getting a proper driver that works with Windows 10 lastest system changes. Could you please make contact again to see if your Regional people have an answer for me.

PS my iMac uses my HP Envy 5660 all-in-one Printer just fine without making any changes to it. So I would assume this is a Windows 10 issue for sure in getting the right Updated Driver for it. Please let me know of any contact you make.

Thanks so much,

MitchellJoe

HP Recommended

To Mr. MKazi and others on this messaging about HP Envy 5660 not working and without "Driver" !!!!!  I have successfully talked to one of the biggy Main HP Tecky Software Engineers about my problem and others as well about this Driver situation and after talking to him on the phone while he also was given permission to enter onto my Computer we walked through the problems encountered with the Driver situation.

The Result was:  There was a problem finishing the install package from HP at the end of following all the procedures. Apparently the "Driver would not download properly to my system on Windows 10 (64bit). After "Lester saw what was finally happening he went into my dos setup and manually put in the right files needed to fix the problem. 

There was an apparent mixup with an older printer HP that I did have with dos folders in it and it was damaging my downloads.

So if you others run into this on the Envy 5660 all-in-one-Printer you too will have to reach a big HP Window Dos Techy to solve your problem.  

To reach a certified HP high end Tech person to talk to personally to fix your problem call:  1-800-474-6836

Hope this will finally help everyone, but it does still not fix the total solution of easily downloading the latest Web HP package Application.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.