Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Pro 6400 All-in-One
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Test page prints normally in color. No color when printing files of any kind from my Mac.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AM1980,

Add the AirPrint printer to the Mac printer queue

1. Add the Air Print printer to the Mac printer queue

Confirm you are using Air Print by adding the printer in System Preferences.

2. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
  3. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, and then do one of the following steps.
    • If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is set up for Air Print. Click the printer name, click the minus sign "-" to delete the printer, click the plus sign "+"click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name and then continue to the next step.
    • If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.
  4. Confirm Air Print or Secure Air Print displays in the Use or Print Using menu, and then click Add.

You may refer to - Printing with Apple AirPrint (Mac)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @AM1980,

I'd like to help!

To better assist you - 

1) Does the copy print out the same way? 

2) What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or devices? 

While you respond to that, let's print a Print Quality Diagnostic page -

1. Load plain white paper in the tray.

2. Print the report.

3. Printers without a touchscreen or menus: Go to 123.hp.com or your app store to install the HP Smart app. Click the picture of your printer on the home screen to open printer management options that include the report.

Post the Print Quality Diagnostic page here so we can help you further. 

You may also refer to this document with steps to fix the " Print Quality Issues" issue applicable for your printer -  Print Quality Issues

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Brand new HP Envy Pro 6400 does NOT print in color from my Mac. It copies in color and test page prints in color. It will NOT print in color using the HP app to print a pdf. Printing from Word on Mac - no color. I have installed all software from HP site. HP,  please help. So far, support people have only asked more questions and have no solutions. 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue.  The print driver for the Mac is only showing Black & White and Black & White - Draft as the color options.

HP Recommended

@AM1980,

Add the AirPrint printer to the Mac printer queue

1. Add the Air Print printer to the Mac printer queue

Confirm you are using Air Print by adding the printer in System Preferences.

2. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
  3. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, and then do one of the following steps.
    • If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is set up for Air Print. Click the printer name, click the minus sign "-" to delete the printer, click the plus sign "+"click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name and then continue to the next step.
    • If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.
  4. Confirm Air Print or Secure Air Print displays in the Use or Print Using menu, and then click Add.

You may refer to - Printing with Apple AirPrint (Mac)

HP Recommended

I swear you people are bots because I’ve never seen such useless tech support. You continue to repeat the same setup instructions that we’ve all done (otherwise we wouldn’t even be able to print) but it doesn’t solve the fact that this printer has a major defect and doesn’t allow color printing on new Mac computers running Catalina or later. Don’t pretend it works because it doesn’t. The issue is with color printing, not printing in general. 

HP Recommended

This tech support is absolutely useless.  Have had His ion the past with no issue.  But if this computer won't work for Mac, it should state that.  Buying a color printer that wont print in color is like buying a car without tires. 

Develop a fix and let everyone know it, or ID the petiole writing in about this and refund them. 

HP Recommended

Why is this topic marked as "solved" when in fact the problem wasn't solved? I have the same issue, as do many others. It appears the HP All-in-One 6400 series won't print in color from a Mac. That's a pretty significant piece of info that isn't relayed in any product specifications. Ridiculous.

HP Recommended

what detail, just how do I print in color 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.