Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Tank MFP 2604sdw Printer

I bought HP LaserJet Tank MFP 2604sdw but it won't let me "finish setup" on the hp smart ap OR on my iphone. On either the PC or my iphone, when I get to the screen after initial setup it says "finish setup" to be able to use network features. As SOON as  I press the button all the lights on the printer start flashing in error and I have to turn it off and on.

Weirdly it still lets me print but it glitches a lot. 

I returned the printer and bought an identical one but the problem persists. It has to be the printer. We have another HP printer in our home and it had zero issues setting up all the way through. 

I also tried the "HP Easy Start" to set it up but again when it gets to the screen that says, "Checking your software needs..." the printer starts flashing all icons and lights while the HP Easy Start Screen just has that loading circle spinning indefinitely.

I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the HP smart app. I have already tried updating the firmware. I have already tried resetting to factory defaults but the problem persists. As soon as I press "finish setup" the printer starts flashing and will not stop until I turn it off and on. The HP smart app whites out and I have to close it and reopen it to get it to work again. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Having the exact same problem.  Tried installing on wi if and then pluggedcis a usb cable and had the same issue.  

HP Recommended

Honestly I gave up and returned that particular printer. I got a similar one and it set up within just a few clicks and zero issues. I got tired of Facebook messenger tech support telling me try the same things over a period of three days. I tried my work issued HP laptop, my personal HP laptop,  and my phone. 

I don't know if I mentioned before but the tech support had me update the firmware, uninstall and reinstall, return to factory defaults etc. I'm sad I couldn't keep it because the printing capabilities were awesome but not if every other time I go to print it starts glitching and I have to unplug and replug it.

HP Recommended

I can help you with this.  It is the stupid HP Smart App that is the problem. Do the following:

1. Turn off the printer

2. Turn on the printer

3.  One the printer is up, press and hold the "i" button until all lights appear

4. Press both "x" and wifi button at the same time, then release

5.  The power button will blink and will reset

6.  Once the printer comes back up, you will see the wifi button flashing

7. Launch the HP Smart app

8. Go through adding the printer to connect to wifi. BUT, once the screen shows that you are connected to wifi, DO NOT CLICK CONTINUE.  Close the app

9.  Open Printer settings on your computer and click "Add Device".  You will see the printer.  Add the printer.

10.  Done!!!!

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Welp. Now I know for next time! I ended up getting a different printer and it connected within seconds and set up with no issues.  Thank you!!

HP Recommended

I followed all the instructions you listed and I still had the same problem. I was able to get my pc to add the printer to my devices but I cannot send any print jobs nor access any of the HP Smart features such as scanning since it still requires me to finish the full set up. I truly wish there was a better solution for this issue since I was ecstatic to use this printer at my business.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.