Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laserjet CM1415fnw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have successfully scanned from the CM1415fnw over my home network for 2 years on my computer having scanning issues.  The WIA driver seems to be where the issue is because no Windows application can scan or communicate with the printer's scanner (NAPS2, HP Scan, etc.).  I am able to print just fine with the printer.  The only application that does work is HP Smart which bypasses all driver, but unfortunately that application is a little limited for my use case were I scan a large number of documents at once and save off lots of different PDFs from one set.

Here is what I have tried so far to resolve the issue:

• Fully removed the HP printer software
  • Removed the printer and scanner drivers from Device Manager including checking the "Delete the driver software from this device" checkbox.
  • Ran the "printui.exe /s" command and removed all printer drivers for the printer as well as removed the associated ports.
  • Reinstalling after the above results in the same issue persisting.
  • Tried to use the Print and Scan doctor, but that tries to reinstall the drivers just like I did and the problem still persists.
  • Tried to use the Windows System File Checker tool, running "sfc /scannow", to see if any files were not right, but it reported that everything was fine.

I have a Windows 10 64-bit virtual machine running on another computer where I was able to install the same drivers for the printer and the WIA driver works fine and I was able to scan there.  This proves the issue is not with my network or the printer.  Unfortunately this is not convenient and I want it working on my main computer where I need all the scanned files.

I have exhausted all my knowledge and what I can find online to attempt to resolve this issue.  Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@compmas2 

Hello,

In order to palliate this incident, please follow the following procedure:

1. Uninstall printing software:

1. Unplug the USB cable at the back of the printer, if necessary.
  2. On the keyboard, simultaneously tap the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  3. Type appwiz.cpl, then OK. The Programs and Features window opens.
  4. Click the right mouse button on HP LaserJet Pro CM1415 series Basic Software, then Uninstall and Yes.

Note: If the software uninstall process does not start or an error displays while uninstalling, download Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed from the Microsoft website, and then try uninstalling again.

5. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the uninstall of the printer.
  6. Restart the computer.

2. Launch the registry editor:

1. On the keyboard, simultaneously tap the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  2. Type regedit, then OK. The registry editor opens.
  3. Develop HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, click with the right mouse button on Hewlett-Packard and Delete. (If the PC is HP-branded, develop Hewlett-Packard and remove Digital Imaging)

3. Delete the HP LaserJet Pro CM1415 series folder in the way:

• C: \Program Files\HP
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\HP

4. Rename folder 3 in 3_old in the path below (a restart may be required):

• C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64.
  • C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\W32X86.

NOTE: If the file refuses this action do as follows:

• On the keyboard, tap the Windows and X keys simultaneously.
  • Click on Command prompt (admin), and then Yes.
  • Type net stop spooler, then press Enter.
  • Rename the file.
  • Type net start spooler, then press Enter.

Please check the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service to see if it is working properly by doing the following:

1. On the keyboard, press the Windows flag and the R key simultaneously. The Run window opens.
  2. Type services.msc and OK. The Services (local) window opens.
  3. Double-click on Windows Image Acquisition, then click on the Connection tab.
  4. Check Local System Account and Allow the service to interact with the office.
  5. Click on the Dependencies tab and check that Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Kernel Hardware Detection exist in the first window.
  6. Click on the General tab, and restart the service by clicking on Stop, then Start.
  7. Close the Services window.

If the Kernel hardware detection dependency does not exist, please add it as follows:

1. Simultaneously press the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  2. Type regedit, then OK. The registry editor opens.
  3. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services and select StiSvc.
  4. In the right pane double click on Depend on service.
  5. You will find RpcSs, just add ShellHWDetection underneath, then press Enter and click OK.
  6. Close the registry editor.
  7. Restart computer.
  8. Launch a new the printer installation with the HP LaserJet Pro CM1415 Color Multifunction Printer Full software and Drivers.

In case of need, please do not hesitate to solicit us.

Best regards,:Wink:

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@compmas2 

Hello,

In order to palliate this incident, please follow the following procedure:

1. Uninstall printing software:

1. Unplug the USB cable at the back of the printer, if necessary.
  2. On the keyboard, simultaneously tap the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  3. Type appwiz.cpl, then OK. The Programs and Features window opens.
  4. Click the right mouse button on HP LaserJet Pro CM1415 series Basic Software, then Uninstall and Yes.

Note: If the software uninstall process does not start or an error displays while uninstalling, download Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed from the Microsoft website, and then try uninstalling again.

5. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the uninstall of the printer.
  6. Restart the computer.

2. Launch the registry editor:

1. On the keyboard, simultaneously tap the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  2. Type regedit, then OK. The registry editor opens.
  3. Develop HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, click with the right mouse button on Hewlett-Packard and Delete. (If the PC is HP-branded, develop Hewlett-Packard and remove Digital Imaging)

3. Delete the HP LaserJet Pro CM1415 series folder in the way:

• C: \Program Files\HP
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\HP

4. Rename folder 3 in 3_old in the path below (a restart may be required):

• C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64.
  • C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\W32X86.

NOTE: If the file refuses this action do as follows:

• On the keyboard, tap the Windows and X keys simultaneously.
  • Click on Command prompt (admin), and then Yes.
  • Type net stop spooler, then press Enter.
  • Rename the file.
  • Type net start spooler, then press Enter.

Please check the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service to see if it is working properly by doing the following:

1. On the keyboard, press the Windows flag and the R key simultaneously. The Run window opens.
  2. Type services.msc and OK. The Services (local) window opens.
  3. Double-click on Windows Image Acquisition, then click on the Connection tab.
  4. Check Local System Account and Allow the service to interact with the office.
  5. Click on the Dependencies tab and check that Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Kernel Hardware Detection exist in the first window.
  6. Click on the General tab, and restart the service by clicking on Stop, then Start.
  7. Close the Services window.

If the Kernel hardware detection dependency does not exist, please add it as follows:

1. Simultaneously press the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  2. Type regedit, then OK. The registry editor opens.
  3. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services and select StiSvc.
  4. In the right pane double click on Depend on service.
  5. You will find RpcSs, just add ShellHWDetection underneath, then press Enter and click OK.
  6. Close the registry editor.
  7. Restart computer.
  8. Launch a new the printer installation with the HP LaserJet Pro CM1415 Color Multifunction Printer Full software and Drivers.

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you Mans.  This fixed the issue

HP Recommended

@compmas2 

Hello and thanks for your return,

Congratulations!:Printer:

I welcome you to the English HP community support.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.