Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Laserjet M601.  I need to downgrade the Firmware I can't use 3rd party Cartridges. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello,

Hope you are well, currently on the HP website the firmware available is only the most current due to a downgrade may cause systematic issues on the printer. It is recommended to use the one submitted on the web page. HP recommends to use original cartridge to guarantee the full quality and ensure the printer can read them with no issues.

Regards, 

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response, but I know for sure that that the Firmware downgrade will not cause any problems with the printer.  HP does it to block printers to force people to buy their over priced supplies, which is something that I am not willing to do.  Therefore, I will rather sell this printer and get another one that will allow me to use 3rd party cartridges.  If HP would have reasonable prices for their supplies I will gladly buy original, but $210 for a cartridge is way too much, that means with only 3 cartridges I purchased another printer.  A reasonable price would be $70 to $80 dollars.  A 3rd party cartridge is around $40 to $50 dollars.

So, thanks but no  thanks. Enjoy your day.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.