Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet Pro M15a
Other

Dear all,

I know this issue has been raised by other users as well, and found the answers/recommendations but none of them worked for me. These being said I will try to summarise the issue bellow:

- Printer: HP Laserjet Pro M15a.

- Device/software: Mac/macOS Monterey version 12.0.1

- No antivirus.

- Only USB 3.0 ports.

- USB cable plugged directly into a port on the laptop (i.e. no dock available).

- Printer prints test page by using buttons on printer, not commands via the laptop.

- Issue: Printer has been installed with HP Smart, printer recognised by HP Smart, status = Ready, so from this perspective the printer is fully operational and ready to be used. However, after selecting a .pdf document (i.e. or other format) and click on the relevant printing button (i.e. again, the printer is recognised by the laptop), the document is sent to the printer, the following message appears ”Printing - Waiting for job to complete.”, then the message disappears but the document is not printed.

- Question: What is wrong here? I updated the software on the laptop, run the diagnose tools for the printer, deleted and re-added the printer, changed the USB ports on which the USB cable is plugged, restarted the printer/laptop several times, unplugged the power and USB cables and re-plugged them after a while, etc. So my guess is I have done all I have found as recommendations. The only thing left is to contact HP support but I was hopping to leave this as a last potential solution since I believe someone else encountered and fixed this issue.

So can anyone please help me on this?

Kind regards,

Vlad

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Vlad07,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are unable to print.

I appreciate you trying all the relevant steps.

Let's try and set up a USB printer connected with a built-in driver (Mac)

When you connect the printer USB cable, macOS automatically installs and adds your printer to provide basic printing functionality.

1. Click the Apple icon , click System Preferences, and then click Software Update. Install any available updates, and then restart your Mac.

2. Make sure there is an open USB port available directly on your computer. If you use a USB hub or docking station, the printer might not receive enough power to operate properly.

3. Click the Apple icon , click System Preferences, and then click Printers & Scanners, Print and Scan, or Print and Fax.

4. If your printer displays in the list, select it, and then click the Minus sign to remove the printer.

5. Connect the printer USB cable to the computer.

6. If prompted to download new software, follow the instructions to install it.

7. Confirm your printer is listed under Printers.

• If your printer is in the list, the setup is complete.

Example of the Printers & Scanners window with printers displaying

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi, Jay!

Unfortunately no luck. The same issue persists. I don't know what else to do...

Kind regards,

Vlad

HP Recommended

Try updating mac and printer firmware

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Try the below suggestions-

Make sure the cable is directly connected between the Mac and the printer.

The use of a USB hub is not recommended.

Also, make sure the cable is connected to a USB 2.0 port on your Mac

Do you have an Anti-virus/firewall installed on the Mac? If yes, disable the same for time being.

1. You may check this in System Information > Applications>utilities folder
  2. You can also hold down the option key and click on the Apple at the top left of the screen to get to System Information
  3.  Click System Report.
  4.   Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB. USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. The printer should be under the USB 2.0 Bus

Then try and add the printer following the steps on the initial post.

Let me know how this goes!

HP Recommended

Hi, Jay!

Thanks again for all your efforts. I tried your recommendations, some of which I have already tried before with Hp support, but the problem was not solved. No dock or antivirus installed, for the record. Nor any Mac OS update required. As regards USB 2.0 ports, my Mac has only USB 3.0 ports, but this should not pose any problems since USB 3.0 also „covers” USB 2.0 needs of specific software/hardware.

However, I solved the problem finally. So, I am trying to summarise here the steps should anyone else encounter a similar issue.

- I already had installed the Hp Smart app from Appstore but the problem persisted - no printing although the command was sent to the printer from the Mac.

- Under this link (https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-m14-m17-printer-series/16647043/mod...), besides the recommended option to install the Hp Smart app, there is also the option to install the driver HP Easy Smart (i.e. it is the last one on the list).

- I installed the driver although I already had the HP Smart app installed, as mentioned. Note that I already did this several times before, but the installation of the driver got stuck at a step where, after selecting the printer, it showed a message that it gathers information but nothing happened for hours. 

- This time, when arriving at the step mentioned above, knowing that the installation shall get stuck again, I tried to close the window. At this moment, when clicking the X on the window, I got a message that the set-up shall close but I should continue the installation of the driver.

- Important to note that until this moment I never got the message mentioned above, do not ask me why. As mentioned, with Hp support over the phone I tried to install the driver, but the installation got stuck although the Mac OS was updated as it is now. When speaking over the phone with Hp, I closed the window as per their recommendations, but the message mentioned under the previous step did not appear.

- Moving forward, I clicked the button for continuing the installation and from there everything got smooth. I followed the recommendations and everything is OK now.

Thank you very much for your efforts and recommendations.

Kind regards,

Vlad

HP Recommended

That's great! Happy to hear that.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.