Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet Pro MFP M281
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My network printer was all installed and working well at my office, however, like most people I am not working at home so moved the printer but when I now try to find or install it just won't find it on the network or WiFi despite the printer showing as being connected on the printer screen panel - any ideas how to install would be appreciated?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Are both the printer and PC connected to your home network?

May you connected with a VPN to your office network by any chance?

If you may connected with a VPN, temporary disconnect from it first and try installing the printer again.

Additionally, is the printer connected via Wi-Fi?

From its Setup menu select Self Diagnostics and run a Wireless Test, review the results for any caution or alert.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks - all connected to the home router and not the office, so no need for VPN.

The printer is showing connected to the network with cable and WiFi when I remove the cable and in both cases all is showing OK but neither are allowing the printer to be found in the search when going through the installation wizard.  I have even tried entering the printer IP address and host name but still nothing.

HP Recommended

Can you access the printer's IP from your web browser and see its EWS page?

What is your exact printer model? is it M281fdw, etc.

What is the exact filename of the installer you are using to install the printer.

Please clarfy this information to get a better picture of any possible problem.

HP Recommended

In answer to your questions:

1) No I can't access the IP from a web browser

2) The exact model is HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw

3) I have tried the installers from HP Support website HPEasyStart_11_0_4498_30.exe and  LJM278-M281_UWWL_4_1_Full_WebPack_44.7.2712.exe

I have reset settings on the printer and changed the network cable and port it is connected to on the router. The printer does show via the HP Smart app but constantly shows status as UNKNOWN

HP Recommended

Thanks.

Please unplug the ethernet cable and tap the Setup icon on the printer screen.

Tap Network settings and then Restore Network Defaults, confirm any prompt and the printer restarts.

Plug back the ethernet cable and click the top-side network icon on the printer front panel.

Click Ethernet and locate its current IP Address.

May you now able to access the printer’s IP address from your browser?

HP Recommended

Thanks. I have tried all that but sadly still not able to view the IP address via the web browser 😞

HP Recommended

Ok,

Now, please unplug the Ethernet cable and tap the top Wi-Fi icon.

Click Wi-Fi/Wireless (the middle square) and then Settings.

Follow the steps to follow the Wireless Setup Wizard to reconnect to your network.

Once connected, if there is no EWSaccess using the IP yet, go to Setup > Self Diagnostics > Wireless Test and share with me the report privately, please.

Shlomi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.