Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP M281fdw

Hi,

My printer will only print text based files, nothing larger that includes graphics.  Have tried deleting the printer and re-adding on my computer (Mac), and also the factory reset accessed from the small screen printer menus, and the full factory reset as per youtube videos.

The printer wakes up, makes a small sound, and then does not print.  The computer believes the page to be printed so it doesn't stay in the cue.

Any advice on how to restore this printer's ability to print files other than text?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @TomDob,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are unable to print graphics

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw does not support graphics printing.

Check the printer specifications to know the supported printing options.

Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry, maybe the word graphics was misleading.

It won't let me print normal documents and PDFs now that have successfully printed for the last year since I bought the printer.  It will print a text only document like "test" from a word processor, but printing even an email that has somebody's logos or any images in it will not print now.

Please advise!

HP Recommended

Try the belwo suggestions -

Uninstall the HP print driver and add your printer with AirPrint (Mac)

Remove any print driver and software installed on your Mac, and then add the printer with AirPrint.

1. Download and open HP Easy Start.

2. From the HP Easy Start drop-down menu, click Uninstall HP Software.

Clicking Uninstall HP software in HP Easy Start

3. Follow the instructions to uninstall all HP software.

4. Click the Apple icon , click System Preferences, and then click Printers & Scanners, Print and Scan, or Print and Fax.

5. Click the Plus sign.

6. Select your printer from the list.

7. Click the Use or Print Using field, select AirPrint from the drop-down, and then click Add.

Selecting your printer in the list and opening the Use field

8. If AirPrint is not available or you require a specific HP-only feature, go to HP Software and Driver Downloads to download the HP software for your printer.

Let me know how this goes!

HP Recommended

Hi,

The link you shared for HP Easy Smart didn't work for me, but i deleted the leading http and started with ftp and it worked.  I tried to install but the program hung at "preparing for device setup" page.  I have never installed it before though, so wondering if this setup is necessary to install this software and then remove it?

The printer is currently connected through Mac Airprint, and i have deleted the printer and re-added and that has not fixed the problem.

I should add that sometimes (but not always) after powering the printer down and back on I can print one document that contains images.  Then it returns to the state I described of making a small noise as if it was going to start the print job, and then not actually pulling a piece of paper and doing it, and also not causing any error on the computer side.

Please advise. Thanks.

HP Recommended

What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or devices?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

I have tried Mac Mail, Preview, and MS Word.  I have also tried using different computers and have the same issue, so i believe it to be a printer issue.

Is it possible the memory in the printer has failed and can only support small documents now?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Yes, we can perform a factory defaults on the printer to resolve the issue

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I replied to you in the private message, but unfortunately that did not solve the problem.  A single page would print, and after that, back to the problem state of the printer making a small noise when asked to print and then stopping, with no error message on printer or computer.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me.

Check for jams or broken parts inside the printer -Paper jam error

If the issue persists, I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your printer

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.