Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
M28A
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, today i bought this printer, HP M28A (printer + scanner all in one), i noticed that the base drivers are inside a huge 190+ Mb file and they install a lot of useless tools and bloatware i do not need.

This is the content of the folder:

qFky2rmnxlRgjf

I want to ask if is possibile to remove all these useless tools and leave inside only the drivers i need, for instance the scanner twain interface to use with photoshop and the generic universal USB print interface to print documents with Word or Excel, i do not need any other tsr, bloatware, third party tools or services.

Tried myself to clean the forlder so is something like this enought to properly install the baseline drivers only?
TPQNIf4

If this is not fleasible because some files are missing is possible to manually install the printer from the device manager once my OS detect the printerwhen plugged into the usb port and point the update to the INF file inside the folder?

If this is not possible and i'm forced to install all such tools, my only option is to ask for a refund and buy another brand, sad because the size of this printer is very small and fit very well my small desk but such drivers are a true nightmare.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, already tried that package, but nothing happens because this still require WIA, (infact i need to enable this service otherwise the scanner is not recognized), so my tools do not works. However it work using the standalone HP scanning software when i initialize the scan function under printer devices in control panel, but still not recognized under twain so not recognized under third parties tools. I need to use the scanner under my old paint software, and my paint software unfortunately use only generic twain.

Probably is my fault because i use outdated software and not win 10, however i need such old tools for my work, so a twain driver is mandatory for my purpose.

ps: Actually i still using an 2012 Epson MX14, it have a 6 mb drivers, universal printer driver + twain scanner driver, it works flawlessy in any tool, unfortunately the paper tray broke so i need a replacement. This HP is very compact and small, i really like it but the drivers are a true nightmare.

Thank you anyway mister Jay, is not yout fault, you tried everything, i'm at fault since i buy it without knowing of such limitation, i will rma it and try with another brand, next time i surely i will check before if is twain compatible.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Miki86,

I'd like to help!

It's not possible to install specific files from the driver folder downloaded from HP site.

You could install the HP Easy start and try to print and scan.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for you reply, unfortunately i have windows 7 64 home premium so i can't install any app in my notebook.

However i succesfull install the drivers through device manager, but now i have another problem, this printer do not support twain but only WIA, and i have issues with Wia service under W7, only twain work properly with my old tools, they do not recognize wia.

My new question is, is possible to have a universal twain driver or a working driver from another model for this printer or it don't exist?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Try and install the HP Scan Extended on your windows 7 computer and try scanning.

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Hello, already tried that package, but nothing happens because this still require WIA, (infact i need to enable this service otherwise the scanner is not recognized), so my tools do not works. However it work using the standalone HP scanning software when i initialize the scan function under printer devices in control panel, but still not recognized under twain so not recognized under third parties tools. I need to use the scanner under my old paint software, and my paint software unfortunately use only generic twain.

Probably is my fault because i use outdated software and not win 10, however i need such old tools for my work, so a twain driver is mandatory for my purpose.

ps: Actually i still using an 2012 Epson MX14, it have a 6 mb drivers, universal printer driver + twain scanner driver, it works flawlessy in any tool, unfortunately the paper tray broke so i need a replacement. This HP is very compact and small, i really like it but the drivers are a true nightmare.

Thank you anyway mister Jay, is not yout fault, you tried everything, i'm at fault since i buy it without knowing of such limitation, i will rma it and try with another brand, next time i surely i will check before if is twain compatible.

HP Recommended

I respect your decision.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Please click “Accepted Solution” on my public post if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Thank you again for all your help, appreciated. Have a good day.

HP Recommended

Hello sir Jay, sorry to disturb you, since i rma that HP model can you reccomend me a good all in one HP printer (printer + scanner) that have full twain support?

Even if is a old model don't matter.

For example how is HP 135A  4ZB82A or more recent 135R? I've found these models on my local store to a good price. I can buy one of these if you confirm me that the scanner is fully twain compliant.

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.