Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9720e Wide Format All-in-One Printer

I have previously raised with HP and gone through diagnostics for the issue whereby my new printer will not print in borderless printing in any size. When selecting A4 or A3 borderless on my MacOS 13 the image comes out distorted and not aligned. In all other formats, it prints ok. I have tried various settings and had HP support take over my laptop but they say it's a software issue with either Mac or the printer. I previously had a case open (Case ID: [Personal Information Removed]) but it was unresolved. 

I have always had HP Officejet Pro printers for my business and have always been able to print borderless but it seems there is a software issue with this printer.

Please could tec support try and find a solution for this. Previous case ID listed above as I have provided previous images of the printing issue. Attached is an image of how the page prints when in borderless. It doesn't matter if you try and create your own page size or format, it won't print borderless but when trying to use the A4 or A3 borderless function in the print function, it prints distorted. 

UPDATE APRIL 2024: 

Still no resolution. Support have been useless and i have been on the phone to them 4 times, had them take over my computer twice and returned the printer for a replacement. All i get is replies saying its resolved when it isn't. The troubleshooting provided by HP below is just the same troubleshooting they get you to do on the phone/online over and over again. This is a software issue and HP need to release a new software update to correct this - your software engineers have even said this. My concerns went to the software team and nothing. HP are not interested in resolving this issue. 

UPDATE 26th APRIL 24:

Today i have found a little breakthrough but it does not resolve the issue. I have a MAC computer (MacBook Pro M3 OS Sonoma) and I'm still unable to print borderless despite changing near all settings. I used my fathers windows laptop and this would not print borderless initially. However, i went into the printer settings and changed the paper format to photo paper and brochure (both worked) and ticked borderless which worked. 
This isn't a solution as I'm still unable to print on my Mac. I have tried the same settings on the Mac and it does not resolve the issue. However, windows does only let you print borderless if selecting a certain paper type. 

Please advise on what can he done here? To be clear - the solution is NOT just use windows. Also when printing standard documents in photo paper format it uses much more ink and takes a lot longer so is not a suitable solution, however, it evidences the printer can do it there just needs to be a software change. I look forward to your prompt response. Dan Ruscoe

HP Borderless Printing Error.png

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @DanRuscoe ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand you've already gone through quite a bit of troubleshooting with HP support regarding the borderless printing issue on your HP OfficeJet Pro 9720e. Since the problem persists even after their intervention, let's explore a few additional steps you can take to try and resolve this:

• Printer Firmware Update: Ensure that your printer's firmware is up to date. Sometimes, firmware updates can address compatibility issues and bugs that may affect printing functionalities.
  • Driver Update: Make sure you have the latest printer drivers installed on your Mac. You can download the latest drivers from the HP website specifically for your printer model and macOS version.
  • Check Printer Settings: Double-check the printer settings to ensure that borderless printing is enabled and configured correctly. Sometimes, settings can get inadvertently changed or reset.
  • Print from Another Device: If possible, try printing the same document from another device, such as a Windows PC, to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is specific to your Mac or if it's a broader compatibility issue.
  • Test Different Software: Try printing from different software applications on your Mac to see if the issue is consistent across all programs or if it's isolated to a particular application.

Refer to this document:  HP OfficeJet Pro 9720 Wide Format All-in-One Printer

HP OfficeJet Pro 9720 Printers - Color or black ink not printing, other print quality issues

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi,

We have exactly the same problem. Is there any sign of this being fixed?

Cheers,

Ben

HP Recommended

Hi, nope. Still no resolution. Support have been useless and i have been on the phone to them 4 times, had them take over my computer twice and returned the printer for a replacement. All i get is replies saying its resolved when it isnt. The troubleshooting provided by HP above is just the same troubleshooting they get you to do on the phone/online over and over again. This is a software issue and HP need to release a new software update to correct this. My concerns went to the software team and nothing. HP are not interested in resolving this issue. 

HP Recommended

Ah fantastic. Wouldn't even mind so much if it was a £50 printer, but at this price point I'd expect the thing to do something as simple as borderless printing without making a complete hash of the print.

They've not even responded to us yet and it's been a week or so. Might make another thread, see if it gets their attention.

HP Recommended

Hi, Still no resolution. What you have suggested has already been attempted numerous times. Support have been pretty useless and i have been on the phone to them 4 times, had them take over my computer twice and returned the printer for a replacement. All i get is replies saying its resolved when it isn't. The troubleshooting provided by HP above is just the same troubleshooting they get you to do on the phone/online over and over again. HP are not interested in resolving this issue. 

However, today i have found a little breakthrough but it does not resolve the issue. I have a MAC computer (MacBook Pro M3 OS Sonoma) and im still unable to print borderless despite changing near all settings. 

I used my fathers windows laptop and this would not print borderless initially. However, i went into the printer settings and changed the paper format to photo paper and brochure (both worked) and ticked borderless which worked. 

This isn't a solution as I'm still unable to print on my Mac. I have tried the same settings on the Mac and it does not resolve the issue. However, windows does only let you print borderless if selecting a certain paper type. 

Please advise on what can he done here? To be clear - the solution is NOT just use windows. Also when printing standard documents in photo paper format it uses much more ink and takes a lot longer so is not a suitable solution, however, it evidences the printer can do it there just needs to be a software change. 

I look forward to your prompt response. Dan Ruscoe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.