Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro8600, N911g
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Officejet Pro 8600, N911g, Product Model Number cm750A, Firmware Version CLP1CN1829AR, Country USA.

I tried to update the firmware, but it says my firmware is up to date.

I recently replaced the black ink cartrige and now get error message "Incompatible ink cartridge."  If I put the old one back in, all is OK.  I tried all the advice on their help page.   I talked to HP tech support; I've followed all their advice while on the phone.  They say it is a hardward error.   But how can it be if the old, almost empty cartridge still works?  I firmly believe that this is a change to their cartridges, but HP won't or can't help.  Any suggestions?  I have 2 sets of cartridges and hate to throw them away.  Please help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@dswb

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, there's an issue with the ink cartridges.

Don't worry, I'm here to help! I have brought this to the attention of the concerned and they'll reach out to your through the Private Message.

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm replying to my own post because the only private replies are entirely useless. 

My original post says very plainly that I have already contacted HP support and talked to someone on the phone, yet the only advice I've been given is to contact HP support.

Since HP can't or won't help with this issue, my next step is to contact the Attorney General's office in my state.  This is nothing short of fraud!  Selling cartridges that are intentionly designed *not to work* with the specified printer! 

HP Recommended

I am replying to my post again because the private messages don't show here.  HP says"I regret to inform you that your unit has reached End of Support Life as this product was introduced 08/29/2011, which means that HP no longer has access to recovery discs, hardware or software for your system. The last day of support for this unit was 12/31/2017. "

To which I replied "This does not solve the problem that a cartridge that is advertised and sold to fit the printer I have no longer works in that printer.  At the very least the cartridges should have a disclaimer that states that it no longer works in some printers of this model."  

I will therefore proceed with filing a complaint with the Attorney General.  

HP Recommended

Since my printer was registered with HP and I received no notification that you were changing the cartridges that were supposed to work, and since major retailers *still* list the 8600 as a compatible printer, this remains a problem!  If you are in doubt about the breadth of the problem and customer dis-satisfaction, go to Amazon and read the negative reviews.  You have many, many unhappy customers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.