Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi have a HP Officejet Pro 8620 and it's current firmware is FDP1CN2022AR and the latest on the HP website is OJ8620_1910A.  When I run the downloaded OJ8620_1910A.exe it successfully detects the printer but I am unable to select the checkbox and the Update button remain disabled, because the Status is Not Applicable.

Can someone please provide an explanation as to why I'm not able to carry out this update?

I have tried all the methods that HP advise but still get the Not applicable status.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @KiwiNick,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

When dealing with a firmware update issue on your HP Officejet Pro 8620 where the status displays "Not Applicable," there are several potential causes and troubleshooting steps you can consider:

Check Firmware Compatibility: The firmware version FDP1CN2022AR on your printer suggests that it might already be newer or different from the one being attempted (OJ8620_1910A). Firmware versions sometimes target specific regional models or hardware variants. Ensure that the firmware you are attempting to install is compatible with your specific printer model.

Firmware Version Already Updated: The "Not Applicable" status might indicate that the firmware you are trying to install is older than or the same as the firmware currently on your printer. Verify the version details on the HP website and compare them to your printer's existing firmware.

Printer Model and Region Issues: Sometimes, firmware is specific to certain regions or specific sub-models of a printer. Ensure that the firmware update you downloaded matches your printer's model and regional specifications.

Reset the Printer: Sometimes, resetting the printer can help in solving odd firmware or software issues. You can try a basic reset or a harder reset by unplugging the device for a few minutes before plugging it back in.

Using HP Smart App or Other Tools: If you are using a standalone update tool, consider using the HP Smart app or accessing the printer's built-in web server (Embedded Web Server or EWS) for the firmware update process. Sometimes these tools handle firmware updates differently and might bypass the issue you're experiencing.

Ensure Correct Software Use: Make sure that you are using the correct update utility for your printer. HP might offer different tools for different models or for different operating systems.

Internet and Antivirus Issues: Ensure that your Internet connection is stable during the update process. Additionally, temporarily disable any firewall or antivirus software that might prevent the firmware update tool from accessing the printer.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am trying to update the firmware for using non HP ink.  HP released an update specifically for this which is the one identified in my first message.  If my printer has the newer firmware (which I suspect not, as I never had it doing auto updates) then the newer firmware should have incorporated the non specific ink issue....and it hasn't.

The reply given has not solved the issue.

HP Recommended

Hi @KiwiNick,

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It seems like you're experiencing an issue with your printer cartridges. We always recommend using genuine HP ink cartridges.

I see that you have an issue using non-HP ink cartridges on your printer.

Please refer to the below links for more information related to your issue.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1692853-70737-16

https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c05308850

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_7470520-7449625-16?

If you are using generic or Non HP ink cartridges and the above links do not help. You will have to contact the generic ink cartridge manufacturer to assist you further with it or you will have to use genuine HP ink cartridges to resume printing.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.