Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8730 All in One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have spent the last week trying to get my Office Jet Pro 8730 All in one to talk to my wired network. The scanner works but the windows 10 box in bottom left of screen just says "error printing"! I've just discovered that I can get it to print using the HP Universal Printing  PCL-6 driver but it's not ideal and lacks the interface of the usual driver that has been working fine for the last 2 years! I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer more times than I care to think in the last week, I've tried Revo uninstaller to see if a deep clean was needed (that didn't work). If I try HP smart it just says it can't find the printer on the network. If I try HP Scan and Print Doctor it says that everything is fine but then is unable to print the test page and says go and reinstall the driver.....and then I start all over again. I've checked sharing options, I've checked the network for all issues, It basically seems that the driver that has always worked fine now doesn't integrate with the wired network anymore even though I've changed nothing!  Oh I tried it on the wireless network as well and that didn't work either. Help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BenB4

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,
From the Start menu click the Gear icon and then on Update & Security.
Click Check for Update Now and install any available updates, then restart your computer and check for updates once again.

Microsoft has released an update to resolve this yesterday evening, installing any latest updates should resolve a such,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for the ideas but I finally fixed it by chance. In the end it was the HP Print and Scan Doctor that was corrupted - by chance I removed the app and reinstalled it in desperation and it fixed it within five minutes!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.