Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laser Jet Printer MFP Pro M29W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having this update installation problem of HP Laser Jet Printer MFP Pro M29W

Windows 10 update: Error encountered: Hewett Packard Laser Printer M29W: Installation problem. error code: 0x800f020b.

It displays Error encountered: Pending installation

Following message is displayed on the windows update screen

" A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we are trying to install. We will keep trying to installation"

The installation is not taking place of the update for this printer : Hewett Packard-USB 6/1/2018-12:00:00-46.2.2631.18152

Always when I  check my Windows Update, the above message pops up  instead of showing the usual message  indicating "You are up to date followed by a  Green color checkmark"

HP is unable to resolve. This update is of Jun 2018 and I purchased the printer in Jan 2019. I really do not understand why this message always pops up . Could HP resolve this issue, why the update of this HP printer is not  installing

Some members of  the community responded earlier to this issue , but the problem remains the same

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@DRR1939, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Is the printer working fine apart from the firmware update issue?

Let us reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Try different methods of updating the printer firmware and check if that helps

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

For more info on updating the printer firmware on this model, refer to page 52 of the user guide.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Mr Kumar for your suggestions. However , your first method of removing the power cord and the steps indicated did not solve the problem. After doing this, I tried again by going to windows 10 settings> update & Security and checked and noted the same error as under:

"A current Driver on your PC may be better than the driver we are trying to install. We will keep trying to install"

Though the update of the printer has been downloaded, but the update is not installing and always displays, : "Pending installation", and immediately it switches over to the above message of "A current....................................................................................................................................Install"

Never I had this issue , it started only three days back. I really do not know whether the problem is with the printer update or Win 10 update. If my PC driver is better than the driver they are trying then why the update is NOT installing. It always shows "Pending Installation". Usually there should be no problem with Win update. All other windows updates are installed excepting this HP printer update. Moreover this update is of Jun 2018 whereas my printer was purchased in Jan 2019. Hence this update should have been built in.

I have not tried the other methods yet, there are three methods and  what method I start with , i.e. Update directly from the printer. In case If I use this method, I want to make sure  there should be no other problem by downloading this. After download, what is the next step to be followed. PLs guide me as I not a IT expert.

Tks and awaiting your response. The error code is HP Printer- 0x800f020b

DR

HP Recommended

@DRR1939

Are you trying to update the printer firmware or the Windows?

Going to windows 10 settings> update & Security leads to updating the Win 10 software. Not the printer firmware.

If you want to update the printer firmware, Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

"A current Driver on your PC may be better than the driver we are trying to install. We will keep trying to install" - this message means that you already have a updated software installed. You do not need any updates as of now.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mr kumar,

When you say that i do not need any update, then why that message always pops up when I start checking my updates in Windows 10. The message of A current............... install” is appearing all the time when I check my windows 10 updates. When it says ERROR ENCOUNTERED with a RED stigma” followed by the above message, one gets irritated to see this message popping up all the time.

I would like to see that this message is wiped of and my windows update should indicate as under

You are upto date with Green check mark showing everything is Ok

Your advice please

DR 

HP Recommended

@DRR1939

Thank you for the response. However, you did not answer my question. Are you trying to update the printer firmware or the Windows?

I have also explained the steps to update Windows and printer firmware so that you can identify which of the update you are looking for.

If it is Windows updates, kindly contact Microsoft for assistance.

Keep me posted. 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am seeing this problem with Windows 10 Version 1909 and HP LaserJet Pro M15a. Every day, Windows Update keeps pushing the same drivers that are already on the computer for the M15a. Is there any way to make this stop? Accepting the Windows Update does not change anything. The next day, Windows Update pushes the same drivers again.

Windows Update.pngHP 1.pngHP 2.png

HP Recommended

@jimk0512, thank you for the images.

Are you using a HP Notebook?

If yes, install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Also, check for any pending windows update. Reboot the computer. 

Is the printer working fine or do you have any issues with it?

The printer model mentioned in your initial post was a HP Laserjet Printer MFP Pro M29W and the image that you have sent has HP Laserjet M14-M17.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mr Kumar

The HP update is also appearing in Windows updates. Is there any separate updates site for hp firmware updates? Some of my friends also have the same problem. The HP update was downloaded in Windows, but it is not installing ,but always shows" error encountered "installation pending", in the details it displays the HP update of Jun 2018 .

There is no issue with Windows updates. It is doing its duty, but when HP printer ( printer HP laserjet M29w is connected to my laptop sony which has win 10 2004 version ) update is downloaded and the issue is it's installation

Hope I made my issue clear.

HP Recommended

@DRR1939

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.