Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp OficeJet 5252 All in One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Allow me to start off with I am extremely computer literate. I have been going through a neurological brain condition for many years caused from having seizures. It has been getting increasingly worse over the past 2 years. It affects my memory severely and my thought process. I have an extremely high IQ but going through this you would think I both am lack common sense and am a complete idiot, meeting me currently. The doctors are trying to find the exact cause and a treatment to reverse it and stop it. There are days I am unable to even spell simple words taught to kindergarteners. It is extremely depressing and frustrating. Now, on to my issue. I am extremely hopeful; this community can help me. 

I used to run all my updates for my laptops, desktops, and printers myself. I just find it easier. Lately, I do not remember as often to do so, but the fact that I work on them so often levitates them from running automatically because I will stop them due to, I am working on them at the time. I went to run updates last night on all my laptops, desktops, and printer, just to realize I completely forgot how and where to go to perform the updates. Now, for the laptops, they are still under warranty, so I just got on chat today and had them walk me through step by step. I took notes on my Microsoft to save for the future. I am of mind to know that What can be accomplished for one PC can be accomplished for all the PCs seeing they are all Window PCs. For the printers is another story. Now for my Epson, it is brand new. I can contact them to get this information. For my HP, however, the warranty is expired, and they will not speak to you if the warranty is expired without charging a ridiculous amount of money. So therefor, I come here, to the community. I did try to research how to run updates on the printer. It is registered on HP.com. I printed everything I could locate to add to my notes on Microsoft. The issues are as follows: A, Where it says to retrieve updates from HP.com, I followed the directions. HP.com tells me that I must download HP SMART app to receive update. I do not know if it has anything to do with the age of the printer or that HP is trying to move everything to the app. I already had the app on my iPhone, already setup. I, then downloaded the app to my most used laptop, to start off. B, I read the sheet on updating by the HP SMART app. I must have spent an hour and a half trying to locate the feature that this page told me to use to run for updates. I am still unable to locate this feature. I have contacted HP chat under my laptop. They told me I need to contact HP printer department. I repeatedly attempted. I even attempted to input a new HP printer but everything I attempted; HP still would not accept to allow me to move forward to chat for the HP SMART app. So here I am asking for anyone and everyone's assistance. Everything is saying I must perform updates using the HP SMART app. It is saying I must go to the the: advance" feature to get to updates. I am unable to locate this feature. It says to select the printer you are working with. I have done that. All that does is give me the specs for the printer. Nowhere am I finding the "advance" setting. I have tried looking in setting and everywhere. I don't know, maybe I am missing it. Please someone, help me. Thank you in advance for kind your assistance. I truly appreciate it. Have a wonderful day. Now I pray, I remember to come back for answers. No really, so not joking...

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @sweetjenn1981,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are trying to update the printer's firmware.

The firmware can be updated using different methods.

Try the below options-

Update the firmware directly from the printer

When connected to the internet, many HP printers support updating the firmware directly from the printer control panel.

1. Make sure the printer is connected to a Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection.

NOTE: 

USB connections will not work.

2. On the control panel, open the Setup, Service, or Settings menu.

3. Select Preferences, Printer Maintenance, or Tools.

4. Select Web Services, Printer Update, or LaserJet Update.

5. If prompted, follow the instructions to turn on Web Services.

6. Select Check for Updates or a similar option.

CAUTION: 

Do not turn off the printer during a firmware update. This can permanently damage your printer.

Download printer firmware from the HP website (Windows)

Go to the HP website on your Windows computer to check for and install the latest printer firmware update.

1. Make sure the printer is on and connected to your computer.

2. Go to HP Software and Driver Downloads, and then enter your printer model.

3. Select Firmware from the list of drivers, click Download next to the update, and then follow the instructions.

NOTE: 

If you do not see a firmware option, there are no firmware updates for your printer.

4. On the HP Printer Update screen, check the status of your printer.

If your network printer does not display, use a USB cable to temporarily connect your printer to the computer. Wait 20 seconds, and then click Refresh.

Printer firmware status showing Ready

• If the status is Ready, select the check box next to the serial number, and then click Update.

CAUTION: 

Do not turn off the printer during a firmware update. This can permanently damage your printer.

• If the status is Up-to-Date, your printer firmware is up to date.

Also, refer to -HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.