Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

HP Smart installation for my HP Smart Tank 7301 finds my printer on my WiFi network then pauses to ask me to press the Information button to confirm that I am present at the printer.  When I do, the dialog box freezes.  Nothing more.  This has happened several times.  What next?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Support Community.

Let's try the following:

1. Ensure that the HP Smart app is updated from the app store

2. Reset the printer back to factory defaults and then use HP Smart to setup again

These resources (example) will be helpful on resetting and setting up the printer:

Reset back to factory defaults:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoL6xpN64-k

Setting up the printer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vLbjSKelaQ

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Click on the link to subscribe and get the latest video uploads: https://goo.gl/y4Rcn1 Remember to like and share the video if you know of friends that would find this useful. Click on the bell so you will not miss out on any new videos. This tutorial shows how to Unbox & Setup the HP Smart Tank ...
Click on the link to subscribe and get the latest video uploads: https://goo.gl/y4Rcn1 Remember to like and share the video if you know of friends that would find this useful. Click on the bell so you will not miss out on any new videos. This tutorial shows how to how to perform a Factory Reset Or
HP Recommended

(Only now returning to my setup problem.)  This forum suggested Resetting the printer to factory settings and Running HP Smart set up again.  I cannot confirm that resetting worked.  After holding the Information button and Cancel "X" for 6 seconds, the printer is supposed to Power Cycle.  It does not.  The printer *will* cycle up after pulling the power cord to a flashing blue Wi Fi LED.  Then, again trying the HP Smart installation, when HP Smart finds my WiFi network, asks for a password, and then finds the printer.  It asks to confirm my proximity to the printer by pressing the information button, the dialog freezes... just as in my post on 10/23.  Is there a person I can talk to?   Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi @CathyW2 

What device was used for setup? Android or iPhone, WIndows 10 or Mac?

Folloiwing the steps in the video to reset should reset it properly.

Can try to uninstall and download the la=test version of HP Smart from the store and try setting up again?

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Greenturtle,  the problem above, I'm realizing, is that I tried to set up the printer before installing ink and printheads.  Seems you've got to follow the instructions in the right order; or, the next procedure may hang in unexpected places.  Lesson learned.

So, I have now installed the ink and the printheads.  The printer issued an alignment page which I fumbled about trying to orient on the glass correctly ('cause the illustration is vague), and apparently didn't push the flashing copy button long enough, or maybe I pushed another button.  The printheads failed to align.  The printer returned to Wi-Fi set-up mode.  Now HP Smart on Windows 11 fails to even find the printer to install.  (Despite resetting the printer to factory settings.)

Apparently, aligning the printheads is essential.  How do I manually align the printheads when the printer is not synced to HP Smart?  Hey, if you have patience with me, maybe I can too....

HP Recommended

Greenturtle, tried again today after confirming that this CPU is connected to my Wi-Fi network and the printer is reset.  Using HP Smart on Windows11, the printer was found and again asked to confirm my presence by pressing the flashing info button, for 1 second, or for 3 seconds, or for 6 seconds.  No response.  Again.  Eventually, the dialog box asks if I need more time.

Please, is there an alternative way to connect the printer?  Or, as above, if an alignment is necessary, is there a way to scan an alignment page?  What can be my next step?  Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi @CathyW2 

Would it be possible to try the following:

1. Reset the printer again

2. Use a Mobile phone with HP Smart app to try and setup and connect the printer to the network

Hope that helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.