Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 90103
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer is online, but HPSmart says it is offline, so I cannot printer. If I uninstall the printer and reinstall it Windows finds it, asks for the code on the printer (so Windows sees the printer) and then I can print. But the next time I login to my laptop  I have to do this all over again. Print and Scan doctor keeps saying the printer and laptop are not on the same wifi - but they both show the same wifi.

HELP

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @camwine,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are facing a printer offline issue.

Try the below suggestions-

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download a special version of HP Print and Scan Doctor specifically created to help with printer offline conditions.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.
  3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.
    • If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.
    • If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.
  5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

Set a manual IP-

To set a manual IP and try the steps below -

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP

--->then go to network ---> general ---> network protocols ---> select IPV4 only-->apply 

--->go to wireless ---> wireless 802.11---> select manual ip ---> apply

--->Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.  

--->then go to settings on the main ews page --> power management ---> select sleep mode to max 15min

Connect the printer to TCP/IP port

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

a. Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right-click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b.    Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c.    Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address, .  Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.  

d.    Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

If the error persists, install the HP Easy Start (under the Software and Utility tab )

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping 

HP Recommended

Unfortunately none of these worked! 

I got to the wireless 802.11---> but there was no 'select manual ip' option

So I am still stuck.

FYI - if I uninstall the printer and then reinstall - I can print as long as I don;t go to HP SMart - The print and scan doctor can't fine the printer at all.

So I have to uninstall and install before I can print anything!

I tried the tcp/ip option, too. But HP Smart tells me the printer is offline - it is also showing the i address o the printer as 193.168.223.1 when in fact it should be 192.168.1.131

HP Recommended

193.168.223.1 is the default wifi direct address.

Please help me with the below details -

What is the status of the wireless light on the printer, steady or blinking?

Is the printer connected to home, public, or wifi direct?

I would like to know, is your router set to work on 2.4 GHz network or 5 GHz network?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

The wifi light is solid. If I check the wifi wizard on the printer it sees the wifi router and the computer (win10) sees the printer when I hover over the wifi icon on the task bar - and as I said, I can print as long as I don't EVER go to hpsmart. I have hpink as well, and that sees the printer.

I am on 2.4 Ghz and I think it is wifi direct

HP Recommended

Try the below suggestions-

1)Uninstall HP Smart 

2)Install all the available Windows updates

If it is been a while since you updated your Windows, that is the main reason why Windows says your HP printer driver is unavailable. Here are the steps how to do a Windows Update to install all accessible operating system update.

If you are accessing Windows 10, then these steps are for you.

1. Hit the Start menu and write an update. After that, click on the “Check for updates” option.
  2. Tap on the “Check for updates” option.
  3. After clicking on that option, Windows will install the updates automatically.
  4. When Windows completes all its updates, start your computer again and attempt to print a file to check if your printer works.

3) try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

4)Reinstall HP Smart from windows store

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Thanks

I will try these on Friday 26th when I am back at the location of that printer.

HP Recommended

Sounds good, keep me posted!

HP Recommended

I tried all your suggestions:

• Win 10 is up to date. 
  • I downloaded the file to update the firm ware and it couldn't find the printer.
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled HP Smart and it sees the printer but says it is offline
  • I tried to run the Print and Scan doctor and it, too, listed the printer, but when I went 'next' it said it couldn't find the printer.
  • I can print as long as I don't go to HP Smart
  • HPInk see the printer and counts the pages

I am completely out of patience and time. So, as I can print, I am just going to continue and not bother with HP Smart. 😞

HP Recommended

I tried all your suggestions:

• Win 10 is up to date. 
  • I downloaded the file to update the firm ware and it couldn't fine the printer.
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled HP Smart and it sees the printer but says it is offline
  • I tried to run the Print and Scan doctor and it, too, listed the printer, but when I went 'next' it said it couldn't find the printer.
  • I can print as long as I don't go to HP Smart
  • HPInk see the printer and counts the pages

I am completely out of patience and time. So, as I can print, I am just going to continue and not bother with HP Smart. 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.