Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Solution Solution Center
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been using HP Solution Cente for years to manage my rather old -- but fully functional -- HP Photosmart Premium C410 All-In-One Printer.  Yesterday, after all this time, I tried something new.  I put a document on the glass and tried to use the printer menu to scan to computer.  On the computer, I was presented with a familiar screen to modify menu options, but I'm not sure why.  The end result, however, was the following unfamiliar screen: Capture.JPG

The old HP Solution Center screen would flash momentarily, that then this icon would show -- pretty much locking up the screen.  The app was non-responsive.  (I have checked for malware.)

I then set about attempting to reinstall HP Solution Center.  It had been running fine, even after upgrading to a new Windows 10 64-bit OS and HP computer a couple of years ago.  (I get the idea that Solution Center was designed for Windows 8, but it continued to function OK on Windows 10).

I went through all the normal steps.  I uninstalled Solution Center from Control Panel.  I downloaded HP Photosmart Full Feature Software & Drivers software, shown as software for my printer on my HP Dashboard.  It was the same, exact install that I had used previously when I upgraded my computer.  I know this because I found the initial install software on my computer and compared it.  This is the file: PS_AIO_07_C410_140_408-5.exe. 

On my many attempts to install, I would delete all files in the Temp folder, delete all files in Recycle.  Reboot.  Try to install by running the installation software, always with the same result: clicking the desktop shortcut to run the application produced the strange window/icon above.

I even used the install software to Uninstall any remnants of Solution Center.  That didn't work either.

On installation, I could see progress.  I would see All-In-1 Driver software install, followed by Solution Center.  I was always able to attach to my printer wirelessly.  I would get a final message: Printer Setup Successful.  But, again, that strange logo.

I guess I should note that the desktop shortcut points to hpqdirec.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin.  I have to wonder if that's the right file to run Solution Center.

Anyway, I'm frustrated.  I'm completely familiar and satisfied with the old Solution Center software that was, until yesterday, running fine.  And on my old printer, too, which I have salvaged any number of times via meticulous cleaning.

I've tried running HP Smart, and it may provide everything I need.  However, it behaves strangely -- showing "1 of 6" devices."

But I have only two printers.  If I try to click ahead to device 3 or farther, the app stalls or locks up entirely.  I have no idea what other devices HP Smart thinks are there because I never get to see them before it locks up.  (I have an HP Envy Photo 7100 series printer also attached wirelessly,)

Why can I not get Solution Center to reinstall?????

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please check below support document, this is due to Flash technology retirement, the HP Solution Center software is based on flash:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02463264

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I'm wondering why there's no discussion of HP Smart?  It's a little buggy, but it works with my old printer and my new printer, both set up on WiFi.  I'm now downloaded HP Scan & Capture.  It runs and I'll try to learn it.  Changing the system date also works, enabling HP Solution Center to run.

I just hope to find something with all the functionality of HP Solution Center.  I'll have to experiment with Smart, and Scan & Capture.

HP Recommended

After linking in my printers via HP Smart and HP Scan & Capture, all of a sudden my older printer feels the need to recycle every minute or so.  Now that's frustrating.  I'm not sure if all this recycling is cleaning heads and using ink.  So, I've had to turn off the printer until I need to use it.

The newer printer is not misbehaving.  It's just the older one -- that I used with HP Solution Center -- that exhibits this strange behavior.  This is not a good sign.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.