Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
5520 printer
Microsoft Windows 11

OK, firstly, apologies for a bit of a rant, but for such a large company.. my experience has been shocking, let me explain.
SO I recently upgraded from a Win 10 machine to a brand new Win 11, so I try and run a "KISS" computer (Keep it Simple Stupid), so I went to web site and believed them when they said to just install the "HP Smart" app to set up and use my printer on Win 11.
 It started off well... I downloaded the app... and it seemed to detect the printer (it on network) could see it and reported it as ready.. but when I tried to print to it.... nothing.. on checking, it seemed like it crashed (no error message.. only knew why checking "reliability history" which showed crashes.. cant recall details).
So I then tried send a scan.. which it refused to do until I set up an account (why? I have been using scan on my old Win 10 machine forever with no such need)... anyway.. I succumbed a and set up account and it worked... but still no print (and IIRC, still no printer visible in windows to print from Adobe or Word or whatever)
So I tried get into minds of idiots at HP.. and suspected I needed old drivers... so I downloaded the "basic drivers" and installed... that seemed to solve... and now I can print.. and its added the printer so I can print from Adobe/word etc.. 
So firstly... how bad is that? on their web page for my printer they push the app as solving all the problems and just install it to set up printers... but it does not work  😞
And just to add insult to injury, when I come here to post and ask questions.. it asks me to identify my printer by adding my serial number... but when I do... it rejects it, saying I need to add a valid serial number... ITS CUT AND PASTED FROM THEIR app.. (I have blocked a few digits, in case its important). but its a "HP Photosmart 5520 series"
(I did post a screen shot to show serial number from their app.. but think they blocked it.. so you will need trust me)
So again.. how bad is that?
So right now I have no idea whats really controlling what.. HP smart? or the driver? or what?  I did get an update in Windows update, for something like a "HP Null printer".. so assumed it better than I had and installed... but it broke printing again.. so had to reinstall the basic printer again.
So while I am working... I can print from all... I can scan and print from HP Smart... its all a bit (LOT) Crap.

Am I a lone voice... or is this shoddy experience standard?
If you got this far, thanks for listening to my rant... I feel better for getting it off my chest 
Hope you all having a better time of it.
Cheers.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The serial number can be used for warranty fraud, theft or just to harasses someone by reporting the device as stolen. If you leave your email or phone number public it is possible you can get a call from someone pretending to be a service rep responding to your request for help.

Configuring a printer for WiFi networking can be extremely difficult especially if the printer does not have a touch screen.   it is like idiot lights on the dashboard instead of gauges or a heads up display.

Lemme know if you need help as the 5520 has a secret hidden menu.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks for the offer... but as I said, I have it all working now.. 
I have it set with a fixed IP address.. so I can point the software at it easily (though I dont recall any specific problems getting the basic driver install to find it/connect).
But you dont explain the missmatch in why the "HP Smart" says it will sort it all out... but then fails miserably to do that. If its a known limitation, its a serious omission.. and the gap/information gap  filled.  

HP Recommended

Hi, no problem for you jumping in.. more the merrier 🙂
I will leave it to you to decide of the "shocking" applies to you personally... I used it at a generic "HP" entity  level... at that level, its a term well deserved.
Yes.. I am aware that I dont technically need to use HP Smart, but the use of Scan features from the old driver software is clunky.  So while most of the "(where supported) provide extra services that require your HP Account " relate to trying to nag you into using overpriced ink plans or print services.. the basics of allowing me to use the basic features of the printer/scanner via a well designed and uncluttered app should just be a basic and require just the product... and not me to sign in and provide any personal info. That should be optional (if these extra "services" you offer are so great, they should stand on their own merit).

HP Recommended

@Yoji808 

I do know better than to comment - consider unnecessary comments and help as FYI only.

I am not here to defend the apps or software — 

I will withdraw with grace having naught to contribute that will be helpful.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.