Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HPSmart
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I cannot get HPSmart to run on my Mac laptop.  I tried reinstalling and it still isn't working.  It appears that HP released some bug fixes yesterday so perhaps that is causing a problem?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@RESJRVA, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand the HP Smart app is not working. Did you download the HP smart app from the App Store?

Check for updates. The latest version is 12.7.1

If updating does not help, and if the app was downloaded from the Mac App Store, follow these steps:

Please remove /Users/Username/Library/Containers/HP Smart/containers.plist and then launch HP Smart from the Applications folder and go through the setup again. 

Check for any software updates on Mac

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Alternatively, use the HP Easy Scan app from the App Store to scan and AirPrint to print.

Refer to this document for more info.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar0307—

Thank you for your response but I am still having a problem with the HP Smart app for Mac desktop.  I uninstalled the app and re-installed from the App store and it installed version 12.7.1.  When I try to launch the app it aborts and closes the HP Smart window.

I have no pending updates except that Apple wants me to upgrade from Mojave to High Sierra.  I am not doing that as it will cause my current versions of MS Office products to stop working.

I tried to delete the containers.plist file but did not find a HP Smart sub-folder in the Containers folder.

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@RESJRVA

To assist you better, what model printer are you using?

Refer to this document to know how to find the Product Name or Product Number.

If the issue persists, use the AirPrint driver to print and check if that works.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My printer is an HP Deskjet 3752.  Everything was working fine with the HP Smart app until a few days ago.  The printer works just fine.  My problem is that when I try to launch the HPSmart App, it opens a window, spins for a few seconds, then closes the window without letting me access the tools in HP Smart.

HP Recommended

@RESJRVA

Have you tried updating/reinstalling the app as mentioned in my first post?

Did you update the macOS?

For time being, you may use the AirPrint option to print and scan from your Mac.

If the issue persists with the HP Smart app after reinstalling, I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My current version of OS (Mojave) is fully updated.  I don't want to upgrade to Big Sur as doing so will render my MS-Office products obsolete.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times but version 12.7.1 would not work.  I have since reinstalled version 12.6.2 taken from a Time Machine backup and that version operates fine.

HP Recommended

@RESJRVA

Glad to know that the older version has resolved this issue. However, you may contact the regional HP Support team for assistance with the updated version of the app.

Keep us posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.