Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP3630
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi How can I turn off the test page / alignment page ?

I mean turn off or disable from the software. Not by printing a page and pressing copy every time, as I have pressed copy and it still keeps printing an alignment page every time I turn on the printer, wasting paper and ink This just seems an annoying way of HP wasting more ink, when I am paying for it.  Please advise. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The alignment will repeat if it does not complete.  The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve alignment failures.  Does the alignment page print properly.  Alignment will fail if the black or color (typically cyan or magenta, I do not know which for your printer) are not printing properly.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@westworld7

Alignment page is printer generated, not software generated.

The way it is supposed to work:

Once invoked by the printer, the page will print each time the printer is switched on until the Alignment is completed.

Read the content printed on the page - place the page on the printer glass and follow any instructions / prompts.

Alignment Error messages and solutions:

HP Inkjet Printers - 'Alignment Unsuccessful' Error Message Displays

References, more help:

Printing Self-Test Pages

User Guide > Chapter 8, Page 94 (Item #5: Align the ink cartridges)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Advisories, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP DeskJet 3630 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for your reply, which I appreciate for the time taken. Unfortunately it does not answer the specific question I asked:

How do I turn off the automatic printing of the test page ?

(The printer has already printed out 4 copies of the test alignment page, and I have placed it in the scanner 4 times and pressed copy. But it still keeps printing the test alignment page every time I turn it on - wasting ink and paper ! (wasted ink seems to be to the advantage of HP).

I also cannot get into the EWS (Embedded web server) to use the tools, as an administrative  username and password is required. I have never set this - as it is set by default by HP and the one indicated  'admin' and then '....  blank' does not work.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

regards

David Weston

HP Recommended

@westworld7

At hand...

I do not know of a way to "switch off" the alignment.

The alignment process must be failing to complete or, having completed, the results are such that the printer believes the printer is not performing correctly.  I would take this to mean "something else is wrong" -- the printer is failing the self-test, one or more cartridge has an issue (depleted, dirty), the intake rollers are not working as they should (dirty?).  

In general, if the alignment fails, I would expect you to have received some form of failure notice. ??

EWS / Printer Security lock

I would guess that your larger issue is that the EWS password is locked -- printing "self-test" pages aside, you cannot manage the printer if you cannot -- well, manage the printer.

I am not aware that the printer would itself enter a security password and lock access.  This does not mean it cannot happen - it simply means that I have not experienced the issue.  I do use EWS (printer security) on all my printers.  In every case, I did assign the password and I am careful not to lose track of it.

How to clear a real -- or otherwise -- assigned EWS / printer security password?

You MIGHT be able to clear this using the sub-menu (service menu) available on some printers and performing a "Semi-Full Reset".  

The information is sometimes out on the Internet for this sort of action -- our rules of participation forbid people not employed by HP to give out this information.  Why?  Because it may not work and the methodology, even when done correctly, might destroy your printer. 

Calling for assistance...

@greenturtle --

1.  If available for this printer, can you help this member with his locked security?

@Bob_Headrick 

2.  The alignment is either failing or otherwise not completing - can advise?

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the reply. yeah I guess the alignment is just a general HP printer problem. The printer is only 2 months old and not used that often, and it works fine for everything else and printing. Just wastes ink and paper on test alignment. No other faults and nothing dirty. Same thing happend with my old HP printer (different model). I googled the problem, and quite a few other people have the same problem, and never managed to get a fix.

For the EWS Printer security lock, I never set any username or password - ever. The printer linked to my wifi network originally on set up with the WPS button, so I never had to configure it. So the default username and password on the EWS page is from HP and that does not work for the indicated Admin and blank.

It's ok, I know better for when I buy next time.

Thanks for trying though.

HP Recommended

@westworld7

The printer is still under warranty at just two months old; please contact HP Technical Support.

Include all your concerns, including that the EWS / printer security password is locked and that you did not engage (create) the security password.

Commentary  

EWS / Security password is not in any way related to your wireless password or setup. 

The "EWS" portion of the security is visible (and bugging you) because the printer administration security password setup includes any attempt to mange the printer via the IP address as well as any "front panel" access on the printer itself. 

In general, the printer security password is only switched on by the OP (you).

In practice, I don't have any opinion or knowledge of how the security is set up when the OP (you) has not set the security (and password).  I can believe you -- I cannot fix it.  Rats.

You could try "user: admin"  and "password: 12345678"

I doubt it will work, though.

HP Technical Support - HP Contact Information

Please take the time to read the warnings regarding thieves and vermin:

Scams and Unscrupulous Contacts

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

Reminders:

• Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information here).
  • Chat is not available in every region.
  • In those areas where Chat is an option, the service hours are likely restricted.

In the event that Chat is not available in your region and / or time zone, phone support is available.  Call the number provided in the HP directory, else submit your case online (to receive phone contact information)

• HP will advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.

• HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by package.

• USA / Canada: HPposts your regional contact information after you submit an online case.  Use the serial number of the device to submit the case to HP.

Our volunteer staffed HP Community Forum is not HP Technical Support

If you cannot find the information you seek,

If you have questions about the answer(s) you have received,
If you disagree with answers you find or have received,

If you want to speak with HP Technical Support staff,

Please contact HP Technical Support.

“Everywhere” Contact Information

HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option:  Contact HP Technical Support - Regions

USA / Canada

1. Submit information online: HP Customer Support - USA / Canada- Contact
  2. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, submit information online HP Customer Support - UK- Contact
  2. Contact Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Contact HP Tech Support on your Browser

Open Browser to HP Technical Support

Select Contact Support or Business Support

• Follow the prompts.

Option:  HP Agent Response on the Forum

You can choose to wait for an HP Agent to respond to your request on the forum.

The following applies to HP agent response on our community forum:

• An HP agent will always post back on the forum before contacting you privately.
  • Agents are identified by the "HP" icon  next to the Profile ID avatar.
  • HP Moderators are identified by the "Mod" icon  next to the Profile ID avatar

• HP agent response times vary widely – this forum is not HP Technical Support
  • HP agent response on the forum is NOT guaranteed - this is a community forum
  • Be aware of scams and thieves that crawl out from under the rocks – READ the warnings

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The alignment will repeat if it does not complete.  The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve alignment failures.  Does the alignment page print properly.  Alignment will fail if the black or color (typically cyan or magenta, I do not know which for your printer) are not printing properly.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi   Yes I think it just prints in black and blue ...so probably the red and yellow have run out. So that is probably why it keeps trying to print the re-alignment test, even when I installed a new black cartridge. I only really use the black, so I will take out the tri-colour cartridge. Thank you for your help on the alignment problem. Cheers

HP Recommended

@Bob_Headrick

Thanks for wording the answer so the OP could see it!

@westworld7

Good that it is resolved.

For those reading:

If the printer is on the network, it may allow you to use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to view and manage the printer and its setup.  Usually, this includes ink settings and status.  Depending on the printer, there may be a setting to allow you to change when the printer notifies you of low ink.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

tab Tools >

Under Product Information 

Ink Settings

Change / Verify settings

Click Apply to save changes

tab Home

Unless you remove it in "Personalize", the Home tab provides a visual indicator of the "Estimated Ink Levels"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.