Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP m281cdw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

With the latest firmware update 20201021, I am unable to print with my 3rd party toner cartridges.  How do I downgrade to FW 20200612?  I am on MacOS 10.15.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ahuckaba, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Let us try to reset the printer to its factory settings and check if that helps.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@ahuckaba, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Let us try to reset the printer to its factory settings and check if that helps.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I have a HP M254dw and need to downgrade the firmware to allow third party ink cartridges to work. Please send instructions. I can provide email, phone and serial number if necessary.

Michael G.

HP Recommended

Please send me instructions too downgrade firmware or reset the printer to old firmware.

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Hi Same machine, also on a Macbook Pro, same problem.

Have done all the settings to allow the printer to downgrade, have the earlier version of the firmware but despite trying multiple USB cables and connections the printer wont take it. All I get is Supply Issues...

Please advise how I go back to  20200612 which appears to be the functioning firmware 

Thanks

HP Recommended

Go into Terminal and type

lpr -P HP_Color_LaserJet_Andy_s_Office /Users/andyhuckaba/Downloads/HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612.rfu

But use your own path for the driver  and printer name

lpr -P your printer name  /your path/HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612.rfu

HP Recommended

Hi I can't get that to work. Please can someone from HP come back to me

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with m254 nw and mac with big sur, shuld I have the solution?

thnks

HP Recommended

I have an HP laserjet pro M178-M181 and my 'generic' ink cartidges aren't working - it reads, "supply problem" . Can someone help send instructions as to how to 'downgrade' to a previous firmware, where the replacement  cartridges worked?  I am on a pc.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

I have an HP Color LaserJet Pro M178-M181 - and get the "supply problem" message.  could you help send instructions to downgrade the firmware?  I think I've read that it will fix that issue then.....THANK YOU  in advance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.