Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new PC and I want to install my older HP Photosmart C4680 Printer on my new PC. (Note My friend has a Dell with Windows 10 and it works on his pc) My OS is Windows 10. My original installation CD has been corrupted??? I have tried to download software and drivers from the internet with no luck. My warranty has expired, but HP said they would still honor support. None of the Internet solutions work. I have run diagnostics, etc. like Scan Doctor, etc. but no luck. My computer will run print tests but not scan tests. Also I have no icon on my desktop to open the printer up. After I try to install software, it says that the computer in in the printer and scanner devices but it will not work. Can anyone help me? GypsyRose48

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@GypsyRose48 

I can offer the following...

The following is the Full Feature Software for the printer.

Download and Save - do  not yet install...

HP Photosmart C4600 All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Driver 

At this writing, the printer software is five years since last release - it might still be compatible with the latest versions of Windows 10.

Not sure about the last part of your description.

If you have printer software on the computer, uninstall all that before installing the fresh copy.

Uninstall Existing Printer Software (Full Feature Software)

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Find / Select > Uninstall the printer software

If software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and it “still hanging around”

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

OR

Revo Uninstaller (Free version)

After the software is removed, Restart the computer and log in

Check / Remove - Printer Drivers – Lurking in Devices and Printers

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Left-Click on any unwanted Printer found in the Printers list

NEXT

(Top Ribbon) Click Print Server Properties > tab Drivers

Select each unwanted entry > Remove > OK to exit menu

Back in Devices and Printers > Right-Click on the printer > Remove Device

NOTE:  If you remove any device, Restart the computer and log in...

Installation – Full Feature Software

Important Notes

1. Full Feature Software might have been moved to subcategory Software-Utility and / or might now be called  Print and Scan Driver and Accessories
  2. If you use Easy Start to install the software:  When asked, opt for "Full Driver" (exact wording might vary).

• Download-and-Save the Full Feature Software / Print and Scan Driver and Accessories or HP Easy Start Printer Setup for your Operating System version.

Start here...

• Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • Reminder:  If using Easy Start, select the Full Driver
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES

If using USB, disconnect the USB cable between the printer and the computer before starting the installation.  Connect the cable when instructed to do so (toward the end of the installation procedure).

Both the HP Smart Application and the Full Feature Software can be installed on the same computer – when available, the Full Feature Software should be installed first (and the computer should be restarted).

HP Documents

HP Printers - Finding Drivers, Apps, and Updates for HP Printers

HP Printers - Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Photosmart C4680 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Reminder:  The Community is not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I went thru all the steps that Dragon Fur suggested. Thank you for your input. Sadly, it did not work. I think the software is in there because my devices and printers recognize it as a default printer.   Also if I open a word document and press the print button  on the computer, it will print that document. But I do not have a print icon on the desktop that allows me to access the printer functions to choose to print a document or picture nor be able to customize it or send it to my scan file where I edit it further. I am not savvy in the proper terms or computer language so I hope this is clear to you all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.