Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart Premuim 309a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my HP Pc recently updated to Windows 10 October update.

Under Printers & Scanners, Settings, Printing Prefernces, the options are Labelled in Japanese, and all Drop-down Boxes are Blank!  What can I do?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@LeysaUK,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support community!

it looks like it could be an issue with the printer drivers installed on the PC.

Let's try to uninstall and re-install the printer driver.

Follow the steps below:

• In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.
  • Under Programs or Programs and Features, click Uninstall a program to open the list of installed programs.
  • Click the HP Printer name to open the uninstall confirmation window, and then click Yes to complete the software removal.
  • Reboot PC. 
  • Make sure the printer is turned on.
  • Re-install the printer driver from this link. Open the file and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
  • Check the settings again

Let me know if this helps. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “KudosThumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

the link didn't work, it went to a Balnk/missing page!

Please note also that ti had to install the Print & Scvan Doctor, and then the CORRECT drivers to get up the 'HP solution Center' .  How can I make Windows 10 loook at that rather than using the 'HP Smart App' that was automatically installed when I connected up the printer to this PC?

HP Recommended

@LeysaUK,

There was some issue with the link, unfortunately.

Please use this link instead to download the full feature driver or you can search for the compatible printer driver from this link https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/printers.

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers!

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well, I Uninstalled the Drivers, then Rebooted, then downloaded and Installed the Drivers again from the corrected Link.  Now under Windows 10 Settings, Printing Preferences, the option titles are now coming up in English (although they don'e mean anything), and if I try you change anything then Click the OK button, it now comes up with "Access is Denied"!!!

By non-sensical Labels I mean then are things like:

PS_STATC_1, PS_Static_2, etc.

The <Tabs> have no labels, and lots of settings are greyed out.  *sigh*

At least I can still get to the Settings via a HP Solutions Centre.

Any other suggestions?

Wish I could send you a screen capture, so that you can see for yourself.

I tried to send one via e-mail but apparently the addy you message came from is unmonitored.

HP Recommended

@LeysaUK,

Let's try uninstalling the printer and re-installing the printer driver at the root level. This may fix the issue.

• In Windows, search for 'Control Panel' and open 'Programs' or 'Programs and features' and select 'Uninstall a Program'.
  • Select your HP Printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for 'Control Panel' and look for 'View devices and printers'option under 'Hardware and Sound'.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'.
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)
  • Click on the "Drivers" tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select Ok.
  • Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.
  • Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Please use this link to download the full feature driver or you can search for the compatible printer driver from this link https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/printers.
  • Open the downloaded file, follow onscreen instructions and complete installation
  • Check the settings again.

Let me know what happens.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nope, that made it worse ... it's gone back to Oriental hyrogyphs rather than at least being in european alphanumerics ...

At least it's stopped telling me "Access is Denied", and I can still set my preferences directly in the HP Solutions Centre (not that all the Windows Apps obey them, unfortunately).

HP Recommended

@LeysaUK,

Let's try to add the windows built-in driver for the printer.

• In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.
  • Under Programs or Programs and Features, click Uninstall a program to open the list of installed programs.
  • Click the HP Printer name to open the uninstall confirmation window, and then click Yes to complete the software removal.
  • Reboot PC. 
  • Go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Right click on the printer > Remove device
  • Remove the duplicates if there are any
  • Refer to this document for adding built-in drivers for your PC.
  • Try to check the settings again.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.