Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Smart
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm helping a disabled person who wants to scan.
This person has low vision, and can only use the keyboard, with a screen reader. They can't use the mouse.

In the HP Smart app, you can navigate to the scan button using the keyboard only. But there doesn't seem to be a way to "click" the scan button using the keyboard only. I tried all the usual methods. Enter, space, etc. And some weird alt-cntl combinations. Nothing worked for me. Let me know if I missed something.

If there's a way past this with the keyboard only and a screen reader, then I have similar issues on the next page selecting scan again and save. For example, the screen reader only says "button" on the save button.

The printer is an HP Envy 5000 Series inkjet printer.

The laptop is a relatively new HP laptop with Windows 10, 64 bit.

The HP Smart app was updated today,  March 13, 2021.

---

I'm open to other solutions which do not use HP Smart.
For example, Microsoft's "HP Scan and Capture" app has all the functionality available via keyboard only.
But unfortunately, when I have the ZoomText Fusion screen reader running, and try to open Microsoft's "HP Scan and Capture", the Microsoft app opens for a second, then crashes.
Interestingly, I can open them in the opposite order, and everything works, but that's not a realistic option because the disabled person has to have the screen reader running first in order to open Microsoft's "HP Scan and Capture".

So is there a different simple way out there to just kick off a scan that I'm not aware of? One that works with the keyboard only and a screen reader? Maybe a shell command I could put into a script, and have a screen shortcut run the script or something like that?

Or maybe other newer HP inkjet printers use different software which is accessible?

---

It seems like it shouldn't be too hard for HP to fix the HP Smart software to make it accessible, after they are aware of the problem. But I don't know how to file a bug on it. I'm just an individual user, so I don't have a support contract. I'm kind of hoping someone from HP might see this post and file a bug. If so, thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@N_E_Dad 

====================================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.

Do not respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

====================================================================

Edits - Update Content

I just tried this setup with a little ProBook laptop that lacks a numeric keypad.

It does, however, have an external keyboard - a nice Logitech MX Keys that does include a backlit keyboard AND the numeric keypad (+ Num Lock)

Works.

One additional setting to make this all easier...

Control Panel > icon view > Ease of Access Center > Make the keyboard easier to use

Under "Make it easier to type"

CHECK  ☑️  Turn on Toggle Keys

"Hear a tone when you press CAPS LOCK, NUM LOCK, or SCROLL LOCK.

CHECK  ☑️ Turn on Toggle Keys by holding down the NUM LOCK key for 5 seconds

Original Content

This is one of those important subjects not always covered in how-to documents.

OK - the following works - at least without using a screen reader (sorry, not familiar with the tool / application).

Caveat

Needs / Uses a numeric keypad option and a NUM LOCK key.

(Full keyboard with a numeric keypad on the right side of the main "typing area".

Control Panel > icon view > Ease of Access Center > Make the keyboard easier to use

Control the mouse with the keyboard

CHECK ☑️ Turn on Mouse Keys

Set up Mouse Keys

Set / Adjust Pointer Speed

and

Other Settings

When done...

Click Apply to Save / OK to Exit

Comments

Pointer speed is essential to whether this takes "forever" to do or is tolerable.

Faster is better once the user is able to manage the setup...

Suggested setting

CHECK ☑️  Use Mouse Keys when NUM LOCK is ON

(Really, though, this would be personal choice based on need / situation)

The "arrows" on the numeric keypad are used to move the cursor around

For example  ⬅️  is on the 4 key

When you get to where you need to be (over the key you want to click), use the "5" key as "enter".

I tried this with HP Smart for Windows to scan a simple photo set placed on the printer glass and was able to click / move around, scan, and "save" the scanned photo.

With a bit (or a lot) of practice, this seems pretty doable.

Hope it helps.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

I suggest following HP Easy Start and install the HP Basic or HP Full Feature Software for your printer wiith the HP Scan software:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/COL96741/HPEasyStart_12_6_09.exe

I believe that HP scan should provide you better accessibility results as a traditional application.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

@ShlomiL 

Thanks.

I've been thinking about this subject.

Certainly the standard printer software provides a decent interface.  Like other Windows software, it likely works quite well with Mouse Keys, too.  That said, I do wish that the HP Scan preview window could be made larger.  I've not found a reasonable method to do that.   Regardless, if the printer software (and HP Scan) works with the Screen Reader, it is a win.

Do you have any information that would help with using HP Scan and Capture with "ZoomText Fusion screen reader"?

HP Scan and Capture includes a lovely (large) preview window and simple controls.  It would be nice if the application were compatible with both Mouse Keys and the screen reader interface.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi @Dragon-Fur,

Sorry, I'm not familiar with "ZoomText Fusion screen reader" so cannot add much in here, I'm not sure about its support of modern apps vs standard applications.

Generally, another option I suggest to consider is the MS Scan app simply search for Scan), for my testing it works quite well with keyboard usage only, so this might also be considered as an option.

For the HP Scan interface, sorry but have nothing much to add in here, this is how the HP Scan application is designed, I am not familiar with any such option too.

Cheers,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

@ShlomiL 

Thanks.

I've not had occasion to have to use the Assistant technologies, either.

Thought it worth asking.  Smiling.

@N_E_Dad 

Hopefully, one or more of the options we've mentioned with help.

Good Luck.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.