Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a new, old stock HP PhotoSmart Premium c309g printer, in the original unopened box.  Upon opening the box I discovered the cartridges had expired in 2010.  I installed new cartridges I had for a previous HP c309g.  I followed instructions to connect and power up the printer.  Startup progressed to the one time initialization which never finished. I then followed instructions for a hard reset by removing & restoring power. After starting again the printer entered “Aligning cartridges” and the process has never completed, with repeated “General Printer Error 0x61011beb” messages.

I’ve tried resetting the printer by unplugging and restarting multiple times, but each time it resumes with “Aligning Cartridges. Please wait…”, and it has been stuck there for over 24 hours.  I am unable to stop the alignment process via “X”, and cannot get to the main menu screen, or use any other menu buttons, so I’m unable to do further setup via the control panel.

Any suggestions on how to get this printer installed will be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @alwinsc,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

The HP Photosmart Premium c309g printer showing the error code "0x61011beb" during the cartridge alignment process can indicate a hardware problem, often related to the printhead or the printer's inability to properly engage with the cartridges. Here are several steps you can try to resolve this issue:

Check Cartridges and Printhead:

• Remove and Inspect Cartridges: Take out the cartridges you installed. Check for any protective tape or material that might not have been removed. Also, ensure they are not expired or dried out since ink quality can affect the printer's functionality.
  • Clean the Contacts: Use a soft, lint-free cloth slightly dampened with distilled water to clean the copper-colored contact on the cartridges and the printer. This can help improve the connection between the printer and the cartridges.
  • Printhead Cleaning: If accessible, remove the printhead and gently clean the contacts with a lint-free cloth dampened with distilled water. Be careful not to touch the ink nozzles. If the printhead is not easily removable, refer to your printer's manual for instructions.

Hard Reset:

• It sounds like you've already attempted a basic hard reset by unplugging the printer. This time, try removing all cables and waiting for a longer period (about 10 minutes) before reconnecting. Ensure to disconnect it from the power source directly, not just turn it off.

Bypass the Alignment Page:

• Some HP printers allow you to bypass the alignment page print process by pressing and holding the "OK" button (or a combination of buttons depending on the model) for a few seconds. While this may not directly apply to your model, attempting to use similar button combinations to bypass or reset the current state could be worth trying.

Firmware Update:

• If you can get the printer to a responsive state or connect it to a computer, check HP's official website for any firmware updates for your printer model. An update could potentially resolve the issue by fixing underlying software problems that cause the printer to halt.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.